Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

After 5 1/2 years of Mandrake I have decided (after wrecking my install and being the only disks to hand at the moment....ran out of DVD's Sad ) to install Suse 9.3, which I am doing at this very moment!!

Wish me luck.....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Well, good luck. Although I don't think you really need any luck, it's not like its LFS! Wink
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Still 5.5 years on one distro, its gonna be weird using another even though the software will, at a core level, be very very similar.

Good luck!
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Well here I am, and getting use to the YAST menu is freaky, its quite nice and not as half scary and 'orrible as I imaged it...maybe I could do a LXF article ...lol , I have tried loads of distros within those 5 1/2 years but they have always lasted about 2 days and then back comes mandrake!! I'm going to be brave this time and keep suse until mandriva 2006 arrives!!

jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how you get on after so long with the same distro. It is refreshing to see someone that has used the same Linux distro for so long. I think a real test of Linux is how long we keep it (a particular distro) on our hdd's
I have settled on Suse and Ubuntu, but tried them all.
Ubuntu for its' simple approach (probably something to do with Gnome) and Suse for its' "everythingness" (it's got everything - probably something to do with KDE)

5.5 years - that is a long time, has anyone here stayed with the same distro as long?
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Ok, after playing around its ok, skype loads ten-times faster for some strange reason?! But I hate and really really hate YAST compared to MDK its not as simple to use and they have spilt things up to much! It also seems to take forever to log in?

Whilst I have been in a testing mood though I have been having a play with amarok as well, quite nice though hasnt got the simpleness of Xmms....but thats a whole different conversation!

jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Yea, YAST is a nightmare and it does take an age to boot up the OS. My solution - don't turn it off. Amarok is probably the best music management app you can get for any OS.
Why not Ubuntu - it sems so popular on these forums ATM.

Last edited by jer1ch0 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

You could always install xmms if you wanted to, I have both.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

I have Xmms, I was just testing amarok to see what I thought of it! I have been using ubuntu for Karoshi to make it distro friendly and I really dont like it, that and debian which is my worst nightmare of an OS!!

Jo

ps, worst nightmare apart from M$ Wink

Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Keep at it with YAST linuxgirlie. I find YAST to be terrific for managing the GRUB bootloader, I tend to have mmore than one distro installed at any one time. Currently I have a quadruple boot (all linux distros) system and YAST is a great help Cool
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

I find Joe very good for configuring GRUB, but if I want a GUI I'll use Kate Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

nano has won me over, still like joe cos of wordstar reminders Wink oh happy days when who needed more than 640 Kb of ram and a 60Mb hdd was huge
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

The only thing that surprises me about this thread is that no-one has pointed out that this must be a novel(l) experience for you <groan!>
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: RE: SHOCK HORROR - Trying new Distro... Reply with quote

<Looks for Ban button>
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: