Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Now I maybe a single poster on this one but I will share my story!!

Yesterday I upgraded from a AMD 2400+ to a 2800+ I didnt re-install (I love the fact you can do that) and thought this is running a bit slow....

Checked the bios and it was running at 1.2 Shocked

....About 20 minutes later and lots of looking in the wrong place, I find a small jumper on the motherboard, take it off and hey presto 2800+ and super fast!! Apparently that was restricting it to 100mhz instead of the 166mhz it should of been at....

Rolling Eyes

Afterwards I felt very very ashamed and still do now so....please make me feel better Very Happy

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Once I flicked the little 230/115 volts switch on the back of the power supply when the box was plugged in, needless to say the power supply was fried Rolling Eyes
I was new to ATX and it didn't occur to me that the PS was still "on" even with the machine switched off! Bring back the good ol' days when off really meant off Very Happy

This one wasn't me but I like it, When I was doing my NVQ at college this guy screwed the motherboard directly to the case without using those little spacers, when he switched it on smoke came bellowing out of the box, literally!

I do pleanty of other stupid things, one thing I always do, without fail, is forget to plug the cdrom/HDD back in after I unpluged the cables to get to something else, I only realise this the next time I want to use a dvd/cdrom Laughing
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

This is one I heard of a long time ago, when software came on several floppy disks.

Customer rings helpline with problems installing software. Helpline guy says "ok, lets start the install again from scratch. Put disk number one into the floppy drive and then type a:\setup"

"ok done that" says customer.
helpline guy "in a moment you will be asked to put the second disc in the drive"
customer "ah it's doing that now, I've put the second disk in"
helpline guy "it will do the same for all the discs you need, just continue to do what the screen says and you'll be fine"
customer "ok"
few minutes later
customer "i'm having a problem now"
helpline guy "ok, tell me what's wrong"
customer "well the pc asked me for disc number three but i can't get any more of these discs into the floppy drive, it seems to be too full of the disks"

The customer hadn't been taking out the previous discs.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Three things still haunt me... all, thankfully, a long time ago...

1. Hitting Control-P when I meant to hit Shift-P on the console of a client's VAX 11/780... Control-P on the console halted the machine (luckily I remembered how to resume before the users figured out what was going on) Embarassed

2. Plugging an old wax-transfer printer that had come out of one of our US offices into the mains without checking the 110/240V switch first - luckily it had a cartridge fuse on the back of the PSU. The fuse hit the wall some 10 feet behind the printer and the bang was heard several offices away Shocked

3. sort of computer related... drilling a hole through a door frame to run a network cable into the sales office I managed to drill through the alarm cable Embarassed
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

It's time like these (when writing them down) that even my own stupidity amazes me, as to which is the dumbest, you decide, but its probably got to be the oil incident!

When building a new box (XP1900), I was trying to get the damn heatsink to fit, and just couldnt get the arm to bend down over the socket hook. So got a flat head screw driver to force it on, I thought for a second about putting a rag on the other side of the clip just in case I slipped, but didn't bother, and I did slip, = one knackered Asus board as I managed to take out a couple of capacitors.

Was upgrading bios on KM266 board, have upgraded loads in the past, needed to do it, it said it was for 3.1b, but mine was 3.1a, well how much difference can a little letter change be.......one flashed bios later = one non-POSTing PC, doh!

Trying to quiten the fans down in my PC, so started putting a little 3in1 oil on the fans including my Antec 480watt PSU, taking care to clean excess off, it worked, they were quiter.......
For about 2 weeks, then I tilted the case on its side for a few mins while moving the furniture around a bit in the room. Plugged everything in, turned on power, a pop and a fizz = dead PSU. I can only guess that putting the case on its side caused some excess oil to run somewhere it shouldn't doh!

So if I ever offer to sell anyone a PC, be afraid, be very afraid! Mr. Green
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Well thank so far, its has made me smile and feel alot better!! In some cases mine seems a bit better...no broken parts!!

Keep them coming Very Happy

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Forgot to to say, I have a lad at school is not good at computers and one that is, the one that isnt decided to upgrade his CPU, a couple of days later he complained his computer wasnt working, las that did know computers went round and was confused, spent 2 hours there until he decided to take the fan off and then the CPU.....the other boy had managed to push in an AMD cpu the wrong way round, then got the fan on and continued to build the rest of the computer!!!

Very Happy

bigbee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

Once, when I was putting together a celeron system, I accidently got a wire of the powersupply against my cpu fan. I booted and after a few seconds my system went down, I tried several time to boot when I saw the fan was blocked and my heat-sink was HOT! (thank god for temperature-sensors!)
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer..... Reply with quote

My business partner always uses a notebook in the office. He frequently has soup for lunch and eats it at hist desk. He's a careless tw@t so it was only a matter of time before he poured his soup all over his notebook.

It was tomato soup so it was particularly thick and stinky.

He's not so technical so I whipped out the hdd and put that to one side. It was OK and we recovered all his files. I took the rest home in a plastic bag. The more it dried, the more it stank.

I completely disassembled the base (not the screen - which wasn't affected) and washed everthing under the tap. Left it to dry for a few days and put it all back together again. Apart from the keyboard, it worked so I got a new keyoard for it.

Of course, he couldn't wait for all this so he ordered a new notebook. I kept his for a spare. Works a treat now. Smile
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer.. Reply with quote

bigbee wrote:
Once, when I was putting together a celeron system, I accidently got a wire of the powersupply against my cpu fan. I booted and after a few seconds my system went down, I tried several time to boot when I saw the fan was blocked and my heat-sink was HOT! (thank god for temperature-sensors!)

Ooh that reminds me of the time my fan failed, so I bought a new one and fitted it, when I turned the pc on it kept resetting, Finally found out what the problem was, I had forgotten to remove the sticky plastic from the bottom of the fan, it was overheating, FAST!

"thank god for temperature-sensors!" - I totally agree! Embarassed
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a comput Reply with quote

In the early '90s, I snagged a second-hand Atari ST off a friend, and did a bit of coding/gaming on it. Because I had already collected far too many old computers and consoles, there wasn't much space for the ST -- so it sat on the floor.

One day I turned on my fan heater and pointed it into the middle of the room for quick warmage. I left the room for 10 minutes, and returned to find that I'd pointed the fan heater directly at the poor ST. While most of the case was OK, the entire keyboard had turned into an astonishing warped jelly -- each key a different shape and size.

After letting it cool down, I managed to get it (just about) working by switching some of the keys around. Typing was not fun on it after that...

Mike
ggsinclair
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a comput Reply with quote

I once tried to access the internet using XP with no AV software - now that was stupid!!

Gordon
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a comput Reply with quote

Even dumber: I bought a CD32!

Although in fairness, it was 50 brand new, and included the outrageously brilliant 3D adventure Liberation.

So perhaps it was the smartest thing I ever did with a computer...

(Oh no, I've just remembered Dangeous Streets. Now I'll be depressed for the rest of the month.)

M
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a co Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Even dumber: I bought a CD32!

That's not the sort of thing you want to admit in public. I was given a couple of them, and even fitted a hard drive and keyboard to one. The last time I touched it was when I ripped it to bits thinking it would make a neat case for a Mini-ITX system, but I couldn't find a suitable top loading DVD mechanism.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a co Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
That's not the sort of thing you want to admit in public. I was given a couple of them, and even fitted a hard drive and keyboard to one. The last time I touched it was when I ripped it to bits thinking it would make a neat case for a Mini-ITX system, but I couldn't find a suitable top loading DVD mechanism.

Excellent Smile By the hard drive and keyboard, do you mean one of those SX-1 or SX-32 things? With the possible exception of the Atari Jaguar, the CD32 was the worst-built console I've ever seen. It felt hideously cheap and flimsy. I was always scared to open the lid, let alone jam hardware in or take it apart Smile

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: