Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of an era...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: The end of an era... Reply with quote

Hi folks...

Sony to finish Floppy Disc production...

http://www.macworld.com/article/150837/2010/04/floppydisk.html

RIP Floppy Disc... ;D

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that with 70% of 12 million sales in a single country it isn't worth them keeping at least some production capacity. They must be anticipating a significant further fall in demand.

Still, nice for the companies that sell the other 30%, perhaps that'll keep their sales high enough to carry on.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a significant store of floppies whose contents have been transferred to hard disk/DVD; most of them were purchased nearly 20 years ago and, though a small number of them have failed, they are not failing fast enough for me to run out of them in the near future. I suspect that will be true for most current users.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four of those flip top boxes that hold two rows of floppies, they are all full, then there are the 75 floppies that Win98SE came on and a similar number for MSOffice; none of which have been used in about 10 years. No wonder my little cubbyhole is full to bursting Rolling Eyes

Last three computers don't have floppy drives in either Sad
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However, Verbatim, a UK manufacturer which makes more than a quarter of the floppies sold in the UK, says it sells hundreds of thousands of them a month. It sells millions more in Europe."

"Yet what was Sony's best-selling peripheral for its computers in recent years? The 3.5-inch floppy disk drive that connects via a USB cable."

" ...the number of floppies - something like a million a month - that are being consumed in the UK alone."

From
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8646699.stm

I have many FDs kicking around from the old days - probably somewhere between 150 and 200. We secretaries used them all the time at work - so convenient for popping your day's Word documents on.

What always amuses me is when some integral feature is deemed no longer necessary and removed ("no call for them these days, madam"), the next thing you know they appear as optional plug-in accessories at about three times the cost.

Or they are never there in the first place. Most digital SLRs as sold have no protection whatsoever for the LCDs on the camera back. So off we go and spend 25 on a Delkin cover so our zips, buttons, belt buckles, etc don't reduce this delicate item to something resembling a skating rink.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: