Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Book readers/tablet computers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanteA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: E-Book readers/tablet computers? Reply with quote

Hey all.

As some of you might be aware, I decided to digitize my book library, but I've run into a bit of a problem;

A desktop, laptop and netbook aren't exactly the best choices if you like to read in bed/whilst travelling. So I've looked towards a dedicated ebook reader, or better, a tablet computer for such a task;

Now I've looked, but I've found little that were suitable, here are my requirements;

Be able to accept either or both pdf/epub

Have a backlight so I can read in the dark.

Accept books outside a 'store' (preferably able to work with Calibre)

Preferablly be under 250 (or 350 if it's a tablet and can deal with video)

I've looked at the Kindle range, but I'm not too impressed by the lack of a backlight nor the remote removal feature.

The Sony line looks ok, but they are either too expensive or do odd things, like require PDF's to be put into Google Docs. :S

Whilst I'd love to get my hands on a Ubuntu tablet, it seems like it's barely out of the rumor stage. :/
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until October-ish?
No clue on prices there though. Given the price of Android phones, I'd expect it to be in the 350-450 range.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony e-reader and it handles most formats via Calibre. It can't cope with complex PDFs, like the LXF magazine pages, but plain text works fine. The e-ink display of e-readers is much easier on the eye than the LCD display of a tablet/netbook, and far easier on the battery too. However, it is like real paper in more than one respect, it works best in decent light. Sony do a "de luxe" case for their e-readers that has reading lights either side of the screen.
DanteA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it it dosent have a backlight? How much did it cost and, lastly, you say it's incapable of dealing with a complex PDF, and you refer to the LXF mag, but is it capable of dealing with say, a scanned book? (basically just an image) or a pdf thats mostly text and a few images?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have a backlight. If you look at how e-ink works, you'll understand that that isn't currently possible.

Plain text and a few images is fine, but multi-column layouts with images spanning columns is a no-no. It was about 150 and O'Reilly keep coming up with two for one offers on ebooks, which now means I have four times as many books as I have time to read instead of double Sad
DanteA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well, if e-ink does not work with backlights (kind of obvious, actually, considering what it is Razz) this does sound like my kind of device!

I'm hoping that image only PDFs (scanned books; really just an image a page) will be fine (though I'd appreciate it if you could confirm that)

So, what model is it and where can I get one? Razz All the ones I've seen seem to be around the 230 mark

Thanks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: