Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

openSUSE 11.3 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
Therein lies the problem. openSUSE provides chromium, which works flawlessly with KDE4, rather than Chrome.

I'm using google-chrome-stable_current 32 bit rpm (for Fedora/openSUSE), which I downloaded direct from the Chrome site. You say openSUSE provides chromium. All I had installed by default was Firefox and Konqueror and searching for chromium in YaST produces no results.

Rhakios wrote:
The bug report says this only occurs with KDE4, so if you're using Gnome you won't have the same problem.

Traditionally I have always used KDE as my default desktop in SUSE, so I am stuck with the bug. Gnome doesn't seem right somehow with this distro. Wink Anyway, I am really beginning to like KDE4.

Rhakios wrote:
Even so, there are two possible problems here: 1 is that one cannot set Chrome as default browser.
2 is that although it claims not to be set as default browser, actually, it is. <shrugs>

1 I can confirm I cannot set Chrome as the default browser.
2 I can confirm that it claims not to be the default browser and, sure enough, it isn't. Clicking on a URL opens Firefox.

Not really a great problem. Only a minor instance of "doesn't work as it should".

I have used 11.3 for a few days now and it is behaving itself, but I am hard pushed to discover what particular advantages it has over 11.2, which I continue to run in parallel.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromium is in the Contrib repository; you can find it by going on the OBS or adding the Contrib repository to YaST when it will appear.

Whatever may be said about the Chrome version for openSUSE, it hasn't been packaged on the OBS which is presumably why it won't run with the standard openSUSE distribution.

Incidentally, those who maintain chromium are very prompt with updates; I normally get them the same day as they are announced for Chome.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
chromium is in the Contrib repository; you can find it by going on the OBS or adding the Contrib repository to YaST when it will appear.

Thanks. I should have realised, with it being cutting edge and all that. Smile

johnhudson wrote:
Whatever may be said about the Chrome version for openSUSE, it hasn't been packaged on the OBS which is presumably why it won't run with the standard openSUSE distribution.

Well apart from the inability to set itself as the default in SUSE it seems to run quite nicely otherwise. Being of a nervous disposition Shocked and definitely not one for living on the bleeding edge, I'm quite happy to stick with Chrome for the time being. Very Happy

PS Now dare I risk trying to install the nvidia driver or, as I don't really need it, shall I just leave well alone. Confused
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, which isn't much, chromium is the source for chrome. Chrome is just the bells and whistles google official branch.

Chromium is the vanilla before the rum and raisin has been added.

I think its also missing a lot of the "were google and were going to spy on you and report back your data" stuff.

Again, most of the above I may have imagined. But I've used Iron, essentially chromium binaries for windows, and I see it has a self contained linux version....brb

EDIT:

and posting the edit from srware iron (chrome 5.0.381). It imported everything from Firefox, including passwords, and I'm posting from it within 2mins. Its certainly quick to load web pages!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it installed on my HP2133 Mini-Note on Monday (which takes a long time due to the Via C7M processor). Testing things out last night, I can't get wireless to work through either the network manager applet or the traditional ifup. Moreover, it fails silently, not letting me know that it can't connect (usually one sees an error message).
I'm pretty fed up with this release of openSUSE. I will give it one last try on my 64-bit experimental box if I get enough time at the weekend. Sad
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:
PS Now dare I risk trying to install the nvidia driver or, as I don't really need it, shall I just leave well alone. Confused

Now successfully installed. I decided to take the easy way out by waiting until it was available on the repo and installed it via YaST. Wink

How's it going with you, Rhakios? Or have you given up on 11.3 altogether?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:

How's it going with you, Rhakios? Or have you given up on 11.3 altogether?

Still meaning to give it a go on the 64-bit box, perhaps this weekend...
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head over here for a review from Tuxradar.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right-ho! I've now got openSUSE 11.3 installed on test-box.

Everything is as it should be - what more can I say?

Oh go on, one thing then: it was nice to see the Nouveau drivers OOTB, but the proprietary Nvidia drivers deliver a considerable performance improvement.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the nouveau drivers manage to vsync correctly like the nvidia drivers?

I ask because ATI still don't seem to have built a Linux driver that manages to get this right on anything newer than 2 years.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
Do the nouveau drivers manage to vsync correctly like the nvidia drivers?

I assume you mean the annoying effect that the old nv driver used to have of off-setting the screen to one side? The installer (which uses some sort of vesa or frame buffer thing?) showed this irritating feature, but the booted system didn't.
Captain_Tux
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:
I have used 11.3 for a few days now and it is behaving itself, but I am hard pushed to discover what particular advantages it has over 11.2, which I continue to run in parallel.

Marrea - Anything to report? I'm still using 11.2 and have wondered whether it's worth it to upgrade...
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main advantages I have found using KDE is that most things now have working KDE4 versions and that a lot of the widgets like Trash and the Device Notifier have been tidied up and improved - but you have to get rid of the KDE4.3 ones.

It also boots faster.

However, I and others have experienced some screen freezes which I did not experience in 11.2. Various hypotheses have been put forward but nothing has been identified that seems to be common to all those who have experienced them.

So unless you desperately want something that is only in KDE4.4, you may be better off sticking with 11.2.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:

So unless you desperately want something that is only in KDE4.4, you may be better off sticking with 11.2.

Doesn't the opeSUSE build service still provide updated KDE packages for the previous iteration?
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
johnhudson wrote:

Doesn't the opeSUSE build service still provide updated KDE packages for the previous iteration?

Thought so ... until I tried to do a regular update at the weekend and got all sorts of errors for mirrors. It's my one gripe with openSUSE - these things seem to change in such a willy-nilly fashion. Will definitely upgrade, once I find a blank DVD.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: