suse 10 and usb modem

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

suse 10 and usb modem

Postby istratos » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:25 pm

Hello
I am running suse 10 on my pc, and I have some difficulties with my internet connection. I am using a usb modem (winmodem): diamond supra. I am aware of the difficulty that linux faces while trying to recognize a winmodem, but the wired think about this distribution is that it actually recognized my exact modem type. (Diamond SupraMax 2890 56K Modem [Lucent Atlas]), which is exactly the type of modem I am using.
(Other distributions did not recognise it at all). Unfortunately for me I was unable to get connected to the internet (the modem did never dial)
When I am clicking on the modem icon (from yast window) I get following message from the modem property window:

Diamond SupraMax 2890 56K Modem [Lucent Atlas]
Device Name: modem0
Mode: unknown
Started manually

Does suse 10 recognize my modem or not?
What do I have to do get connected to the Internet? Should I better purchase a new modem?

P.S.
Please consider
1. suse 10 is a beta release and
2. The specific modem is listed as an unknown device on Novels supported hardware
2. I never used linux before --> I may not have configured the internet connection properly... :D
istratos

Postby coolclassic » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:10 am

You modem may be reconised but you will not have the software to use it. Try looking on there web sight for software.
The world is your playground why don't you play.
coolclassic
LXF regular

Return to Hardware