Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

Hi all...

All I can say is WOW!

http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Fat_Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're gonna need a bigger hard drive ...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 2TB disks available for affordable prices and SSD on the verge of making it into the TB range, that problem will be solved before this device is available is a real product Wink
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't get too excited. Rolling Eyes

From the PC Pro site:

However, those expecting an enormous boost in image resolution in the near future are set to be disappointed. The company unveiled a 50-megapixel CMOS sensor in 2007, but that has yet to arrive in a DSLR.

"While we have no plans for a consumer product [containing the 50-megapixel sensor], we are looking at it for commercial products," a Canon spokesperson told PC Pro, with medical imaging devices among the likely uses.

By Bureaunet on 24 Aug 2010
At that sort of resolution (which unquestionably has a use, commercially) the biggest problem is the resolving power of lenses, which at today's optical standards simply won't cut the mustard.

By PaleRider on 24 Aug 2010
It is difficult to see how such a sensor might be used, since as Bureaunet correctly says, lenses currently cannot resolve to such a fine level. Glass lenses are never likely to be able to either. Today's 20+MP cameras are already stretching lenses.

Quite frankly, what would make me go "Wow" is if the camera manufacturers concentrated on solving the problem of sensor dust. Wink
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Marrea - Most DSLR cameras (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and others) now have inbuilt sensor cleaners - they use ultra-sonic vibrations. I've not had a problem with my Pentax K-7 Very Happy

Back on topic, a great option for medium format cameras to produce massive, high quality prints. It's a pity they don't make medium format cameras - not that I could afford one if they did Sad
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
@Marrea - Most DSLR cameras (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and others) now have inbuilt sensor cleaners - they use ultra-sonic vibrations. I've not had a problem with my Pentax K-7 Very Happy

Hi ollie

Yes, indeed, my three year old Canon EOS400D has a self-cleaning sensor unit which shakes dust from the sensor each time the camera is powered on and off. So where does the dust go once shaken off? Itís still floating around inside the camera ready to settle on the sensor again!! If these so called self-cleaning units actually worked effectively there would surely be no need for kits such as the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly which sell at anything from £100 upwards. Rolling Eyes

You're very lucky if you've had no problems with your Pentax. I try to keep my lens changing to an absolute minimum, nearly always indoors, always keep the lens throat pointing downwards, and still I can spot dust blobs in my photos - usually seen in large areas of blue such as the sky. Nothing major yet and easily removed of course with Photoshop but irritating nonetheless. Smile
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellites?
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Enhance key might become a reality after all http://supertroopersenhance.ytmnd.com/
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: