Why not wirte about the best desktop ever a little more... ?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Why not wirte about the best desktop ever a little more... ?

Postby Erin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:38 pm

The best desktop is.... well, it isn't KDE, nor GNOME. Okay, in reality it maybe but please don't forget about the others. Please can we have more about other desktops and how to configure, use and maximise these.

The GNOME vs KDE article, I thought, and you did ask for feedback, not the best use of space for the magazine despite it's jovial attempt at beating off a flame war. However, the lightweight desktop article and issue to two before... grand.

There is too much KDE/GNOME development, uprevving etcetera. Let's please go to some general programming with specific conversion lessons to K/G. Let's teach people how to develop for Linux as a community first. Let's show people what can be achieved by careful code, broad experimental ideas, individual thought, inspiation, persiration. Even tonight on the Gadget show on Bravo they were praising open source and specifically mentioning OOo, GIMP, FFox, TBird, Knoppix, SuSE (despite their arguement being more fiscal). Let us not get tied into knots and stuck with Windows replacements and mentalities. LXF is a good publication with an eager and fresh audience.

To answer my own posed question. The BEST desktop is... the one that works for you and allows you to maximise productivity to your own end. No more, no less.

Feel free to flame. Thank you all the same LXF. I still subscribe and read almost cover to cover (I skip certain bits as hinted at above).

Regards, Erin
Erin
LXF regular

RE: Why not wirte about the best desktop ever a little more.

Postby davecs » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:09 am

I thought the KDE vs GNOME debate was light-hearted, all I can say is that the last time I tried to use GNOME I could not get my KDE applications on the menu except one at a time and very slowly. On the other hand, all my GNOME stuff was easily added to my KDE menus with little fuss. In a sense that was important.

To be honest though, I just happen to prefer the Connectiva Crystal Icon Set to the Big Foot, the Retro House, and the huge folder symbols that make Nautilus an eyesore.

So no prizes for guessing which I prefer.

BTW I also play around with XFCE4.2, ICEWM and one or two others, but I unerringly keep finding my way back to KDE. It is only overdecorative if you make it so, you can tone down all its eye-candy with a touch of a few buttons. In actual fact, with a little care, it is a practical system.

I currently have the KStep Window Decorations and the ActiveHeart "Style" it just looks so perfect!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs