Anyone here hold any linux certifications?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Anyone here hold any linux certifications?

Postby linuxlearner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 pm

I have been working in IT for 10 years now dealing with a mixed bag of computing environments...everything from Windows to Linux and some .nix variants. I possess certifications from the Windows and networking worlds but nothing from Linux.

For the last 5 years I have been working almost exclusively with IBM's variant of .nix which is AIX. RHEL (Red Hat) and AIX are the two versions of Linux that I have worked with professionally but the cost of their exams are quite a bit more compared to the industry standard...

I was considering writing my LPIC (1 & 2) since it is relevant to what I do as a system administrator day to day but im wondering if any of you have any advice on Linux certifications or if you possess any that are current. LXF wrote an excellent article on certification back in October 2008 but im hoping to see and read some current feedback on the topic...

Thoughts, comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
linuxlearner

Postby linuxlearner » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Sigh - 160 views and not response or comment...

I was hoping there would be someone here with a Linux / Unix background who works in IT or has a few years experience or some certs who could tell me what they thought of this exam or certification.

I have read and talked to others that the LPI exam is harder than the Linux + exam that CompTIA offers.

Anyhow I have begun studying for my LPI level 1 which are exams 101 and 102...I'll post my progress / questions on here along the way.

Thanks.
linuxlearner

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:16 pm

It's not surprising you don't get a response though: LXF is mostly aimed at novices and home users. Those who need these kind of qualifications (the pro's) are better served by Linux Pro and Linux Journal... And of course LinuxQuestions: http://www.linuxquestions.org
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby linuxlearner » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for responding Dutch_Master.

I really do consider myself a "novice" or "intermediate" user because I am only starting to use this at home and run it on desktops, home server and HTPC to name a few.

Sure I do system administration on a flavor of .nix at work but as a student of the Linux world I feel that I am always learning and have lots left to learn.

I will check out that link you sent and post there...

Thanks for taking the time to post - appreciate it and welcome chatting with my fellow Linux users and fans of LXF (the networking magazine this month is great!)

Thanks again
linuxlearner

Postby Captain_Tux » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 pm

I'm currently studying for Linux+.
Captain_Tux
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:11 am

In answer to the OP, I've got RHCT via work. I think it will cost about £500 just to take the exam so maybe not an option unless you can get someone to stump up the dosh for you.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:04 pm

I am also a RHCT. I got it back in 2003.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby linuxlearner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response. Yeah I looked into the RHCT and RHCE and they are way too expensive for both me and my employers taste. We don't even use any RHEL at work anymore as our customers have gone to AIX or even Ubuntu LTS.

I am choosing the LPI because it covers quite a bit of things Linux and it's a vendor neutral / agnostic exam meaning it has a bit of everything which we should be familiar with when supporting different Linux flavors.

I'm hoping to do the 101 and 102 exams by the end of the year and will reach for the stars and do the 201 and 202 some time early next year as it mimics what we do at the enterprise level here at work.

Thanks for posting!
linuxlearner

Postby crickster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:05 pm

I have Linux+ also (and I was teaching it last year).
Its a good entry level qualification aimed at those going for sys admin roles.
A *slight* critisism is that they've changed the format of it.
The 2004 objectives (which is due to be retired next month, october 2010) involved 1 exam and meant you were certified for life.

The new format is there are now 2 exams and it is relevant for a finite period.
Plus points for it are that if you now pass the 2009 objectives, you gain membership of LPI.

The bad news is that with the 2 exams, you are basically doubling the cost of certification (and I suspect the expiry on the qualifcation is due to the desire to get returning trade).
The single exam was £160 I believe and the two exams are £110 each AFAIK.

That said, I certainly believe it is worthwhile.
crickster

Postby linuxlearner » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Crickster,

Thanks for posting and sharing the info! I was considering Linux + as well but decided against it seeing all the changes as well as reading the changes in the LPI stream. LPI has changed its pricing and updated its material as well...

I am going to challenge the 101 and 102 exams (currently im reading the book just finishing chapter 2) as soon as I can as it's very valuable and recognized by some employers here in my city.

Are you using Linux at work? How did you find teaching Linux + ?
That's something that would interest me down the road...

Thanks again!
linuxlearner

Postby crickster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 am

Yip I use Linux (and solaris) in the workplace.
I found having Linux+ a good stepping stone to getting my first job using Linux. Since then I've worked with various RHEL/CentOS servers as well as a few older Unix (sco for example) OSes too.

Teaching Linux+ was a very enjoyable experience, basically because it was adult education and all the students were keen to learn. They got a good pass rate too (9 eventually done the exam and 7 passed it).
I think that is reflective of the students desire however. You can teach the syllabus but the student must take credit for the pass.

As I have come from a training background, I will always champion certification. I have been at the coal face of many myself (including numerous Microsoft ones) I have always found them to 'raise your game' in the IT world, both personally and with employers.

Good luck with LPI if you decide to go for it and I'd really like to hear your (or others) experience (I might decide to do it myself!)
crickster

Postby linuxlearner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Speaking of certifications - I truly believe they up your "look" to IT managers and other IT professionals but only if you have a few years of experience behind your name none of this "paper cert" technical types.

They have certainly helped me advance in my career and in doing the LPI I think it will help me since im doing already doing Linux / Unix work with AIX on a day to day basis.

I have already started a few chapters and will keep going - so far so good. I will let you know how far I progress and how I find the LPI materials.

Thanks for the response!
linuxlearner

Return to Discussion