Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby ollie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 am

Bazza wrote:Hi Bazza...

OK, maybe I should have written:-

"So MY XP OS is outliving this HW." ;o\

And as for all the others defending Linux "to the death" about
command line usage - I point you to our "Help" forum,
(other Linux specific sites also), and especially the LXF mag`.

;o)

:lol:

There is one task that I know of with Windows that can only be performed with the command line - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and probably the other versions as well. The command has changed - just to make it harder. You can't perform a Windows update from behind a proxy server without telling the system to import the proxy settings from Internet Explorer on the command line.

The command line is just another way of interacting with your computer - sometimes it is the fastest way to do something, sometimes it is the only way to do something, sometimes it's a way of starting a graphical interaction. Not using the command line is like a painter only using a 4" (10 cm) brush to paint a portrait. Rolf Harris could do it but he didn't paint any fine details :wink:
ollie

Postby towy71 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 am

ollie wrote:Not using the command line is like a painter only using a 4" (10 cm) brush to paint a portrait. Rolf Harris could do it but he didn't paint any fine details :wink:
Depends on the scale doesn't it? If the canvas is 20' by 10' using a fine sable brush would be pointless :P

oops have I gone off topic ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ollie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:38 am

towy71 wrote:Depends on the scale doesn't it? If the canvas is 20' by 10' using a fine sable brush would be pointless :P

oops have I gone off topic ;-)

The fine sable brush might be required for fine detail, even on a large scale :P

It's OK, it's in "Off Topic" :P :lol:

Back on topic, use the best tool for the job - Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, FreeBSD or whatever.
ollie

Postby Bazza » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:57 am

Hi ollie...

> You can't perform a Windows update from behind a proxy
> server without telling the system to import the proxy
> settings from Internet Explorer on the command line.

<cough-splutter smiley>
Spat my tea out laughing at that one.

You now have my undivided attention; I`m curious...

How many of the 1+ (US) Billion of the worlds population
that uses Windows of any genre know or even care about
this "MAJOR" CLI "FLAW" in the Windows OS?

Much less than the total number of users of all Linux flavours
I would guess...

;oD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Forum help doesn't *have* to be given as CLI commands, there is nearly always a GUI tool for the job these days.

Commands are generally given because they are easier to type and are more distro generic -

Click Places>Home folder, then right-click on file_to_be_copied and select Copy, Open the Desktop folder, right-click on a clear space inside the folder and select Paste.
(or even longer if it's a hidden file... just an extra "." in the CLI version)
(can I also point out, in Windows for a hidden file you would also have to enable "Show hidden files" which isn't as easily accessible as it is from most Linux file managers)

or

Code: Select all
cp ~/file_to_be_copied ~/Desktop/file_to_be_copied

Commands also leave less room for *interpretation* and tend to be followed with more attention to detail/less getting ahead of the response, and can be easily copy>paste(d)

This doesn't mean nautilus/dolphin etc. don't exist... commands similar to the above are used regularly on Windows help forums (how many times do you see things like "you need to delete C:\Windows\System32\annoying_toolbar_popup-malware.dll"), but tend to stop at anything more involved (even if it's possible)... Linux forums tend to think people won't mind a response in command line format as they *want* to learn the true power of Linux, but if they say they are uncomfortable with the CLI, they usually get a GUI response.

Even Microsoft realised the need for a more powerful command line shell and scripting language...
Windows PowerShell

The only real difference is that Linux doesn't try to hide its all powerful CLI, whereas Windows seem to be ashamed of their puny affair (even continuing to call it a DOS box so they can say its lack of functionality is because it's old), whilst quietly trying to improve it... well at least that's something ;)
Last edited by PCNetSpec on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Bazza wrote:You now have my undivided attention; I`m curious...

How many of the 1+ (US) Billion of the worlds population
that uses Windows of any genre know or even care about
this "MAJOR" CLI "FLAW" in the Windows OS?

Much less that the total number of users of all Linux flavours
I would guess...

;oD

I didn't say it was a "MAJOR" CLI "FLAW" - just that you couldn't do it. People who use a proxy and those that should use a proxy are two very different numbers - most businesses should use a proxy, to help protect the business' IT environment and stop employees visiting questionable web sites. The alternative is setting up WSUS on a server and using that to update your Windows PCs - in this case using the command line is actually simpler.
ollie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Bazza wrote:And as for all the others defending Linux "to the death" about command line usage - I point you to our "Help" forum, (other Linux specific sites also), and especially the LXF mag`.

And there is a good reason for that.
It's easier (and quicker, and less likely to be misunderstood) to post a command, or several commands that can be cut and pasted into a terminal:

mke2fs /dev/fd0

than to post something like this:
To format a floppy disk, follow these steps:

1. Start Windows Explorer, Windows NT Explorer, or My Computer.
2. Use the right mouse button to click the drive containing the floppy disk you want to format, and then click Format on the menu that appears.
3. In the Format dialog box, click the options you want to use to format the disk, and then click Start.

But there are plenty of windows help forums that are just the same:
How to use Disk Management:

1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

as for never needing the CLI in Windows,
Ipconfig and ping are 2 tools (amongst others) that spring to mind, which I use nearly every day on windows systems.

Migrating win2003 to win2003 R2 took a week and involved over 2xA4 pages of CLI commands, for tasks that could not be carried out from the GUI.

Having said that, none of my users ever have to use the CLI in either OS :P
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

OK, probably better formatting/examples, but didn't I just say that ;)

Or maybe I've been watching too much Dave Ja Vu ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:40 pm

PCNetSpec wrote:OK, probably better formatting/examples, but didn't I just say that ;)

Sorry, my fault, didn't realise there were 2 pages (clicked on a link in an email, took me to bazza's post)

Probably this DOS-based email client I always use ;)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Another thought:
Because the windows file transfer and checking system is so rubbish (even now, transferring lots of files over a network connection takes forever, and often fails before it is finished)
I use DOS Xcopy or robocopy scripts for automated backups, ten time as fast, and they actually work!

I had a customer who was sold an expensive off-site backup system, and when they actually had a PC failure, they found out that the fancy system hadn't actually been working for 3 months.
But the xcopy script that I had installed when I sold them the PCs was still running (just copied changes to their docs folders and email files to another PC every time they shut down ).
They lost 3 emails.
:)

Another customer has a big red button on their desktop with the legend "click me to backup" - guess what it runs.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Just fixed a XP laptop, no matter how it was started it just BSOD. Had to resorted to the XP Recovery Console from CD.

Ran
chkdsk /f
rebooted. corrected 4 error then locked up. But it was enough to allowed to system to boot thereafter. Reran
chkdsk /f
ran thought on the 2nd attempt.

Handed the laptop back the a grateful teenager.

if you install SP3 then you'll be back up to date :D.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby jamie_tickner » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:40 am

I have had exactly a year today of not using windows except when in work (my work machine is xp). I thought I would miss gaming but my snes and megadrive roms work fine.

I thought I would have problems with my iPod, gtkpod works fine.

Personally I think as a home user linux has come on a long way in terms of hardware support so I think a big thank you is in order to those who code their distros and kernel parts to make it work with hardware without any support from the manufacturers!!
jamie_tickner

Postby pastychomper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:47 pm

I've never owned a copy of Windows. When I bought my first PC I did some research, decided to stick with the Microsoft stuff I knew, then changed my mind after yet another bug on my father's win95 box.

I did dual-boot with DOS for a while, but soon found I wasn't using it (most games worked under Dosemu) and I've been Linux only for about 9 years now. As the years went by, I've gradually lost some of my old antipathy towards Microsoft, but never found a good reason to use their software.
pastychomper

Only on my Laptop

Postby jamesgrant » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Desktop dual boots Ubuntu and Windows 7 due to me being a Call of Duty fanatic (if I could do it on Linux (without slight lag in wine) then I would get rid of windows completely). My laptop has had ubuntu on it for the past 2 years. We have another 'family' laptop with windows 7 on it for the wife, I dont use it except to do something for her that she cant be bothered to spend 5 minutes learning about in order to do it for herself.
I cannot be held reponsibal for anything I say or do (I cant even spell responsibel).
jamesgrant

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I completely moved to Linux at home a long time ago now, can't even remember how long but over 8+ years. I don't dual boot or use Virtual box, but I do use Wine for two games.. World of Warcraft and Starcraft. Apart from that I only use open source software and I haven't really come across anything that I would need to move back to Windows for, and if my games get unsupported I will just stop playing and do something useful with my life....like go back to learning C programming rather than keep ignoring it, because I am to busy levelling to 85 :oops:

At work we are nearly all Linux, and it won't be long till I think we will be completely converted(apart from the Macs), but again this is only possible with the help of Wine, which if it didn't exist we would have no choice but to run Windows as the software creators refuse to believe that schools use anything else.

:)
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic