Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up Zentyal for multiple WAN use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Setting up Zentyal for multiple WAN use Reply with quote

Has anyone used Zentyal (ebox in an earlier life) with multiple WAN connections?

I need to set up a server that can load balance (and provide failover) for two WAN connections, one a normal POTs hosted ADSL link, the other a wireless link (the system is located in fairly rural surroundings....).

I installed the latest version of Zentyal (2.0.1) on an AMD Athlon based machine with 2GB of RAM. Not cutting edge, but reasonably powerful, thought it should be able to cope.

Initally, I set the machine up to talk to the ADSL link, hooked a Netgear switch onto its internal ethernet port. That worked fine - I was able to plug my laptop into the Netgear switch and access the internet without problems (though at times the responses seemed a bit slow...).

I then configured the second gateway and connected the wireless link (which is wired by the time it gets to the office where the machine is located). At which point, everything failed. Even though the Zentyal dashboard was showing both WAN links as up, I was unable to access anything beyond the Zentyal server. Attempting to ping anything outside of the local network got me 'network is unreachable' messages.

If anyone has set this sort of system up, I would be grateful for a look at the configs that have been used. I've spent several hours trying to spot the problem without sucess. If this keeps up, I may have to use pFsense instead, which I know can do the same job, but which is much more limited in terms of services beyond firewall/gateway/NAT/router.

Even before I hit the problem with loss of internet connection, I was finding that the system was fairly sluggish - the CPU seemed to be spending a lot of time running flat out, and responses from the web interface weren't as quick as I would have expected. I'm also not sure why a server needs to be running a GUI, even a light weight one.

Anyone using this thing?

Paul
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done what you speak of.

How many NIC s does your server have? I found that if i had 3 (one for internal network, two different for different gateways)

Also what ip addresses are you using. If they are similar on different interfaces it can get very confused

Here is my setup

GUI: I also didn't want the gui desktop, so I installed ubuntu 10.04 server, then added zentyal to the apt sources
(http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Document/Documentation/InstallationGuide)
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:
I have done what you speak of.

Smile Good to hear....

Quote:
How many NIC s does your server have? I found that if i had 3 (one for internal network, two different for different gateways)

Three NICs. Two 100mbit, one gbit for the internal network.

Quote:
Also what ip addresses are you using. If they are similar on different interfaces it can get very confused

The ADSL gateway is on 192.168.1.1, the wired engine of the wireless network is on 192.168.0.3. The internal network uses the 10.1.0. range.

Quote:
Here is my setup

Looks a lot like what I was trying to get going. I wonder where I went wrong....

Quote:
GUI: I also didn't want the gui desktop, so I installed ubuntu 10.04 server, then added zentyal to the apt sources
(http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Document/Documentation/InstallationGuide)

Smile Thanks for the idea. I should have thought of that option. I'm going to have a play with pFsense in the next couple of days, but it would be more convenient to be able to use Zentyal.

How did you find the performance once it was all set up?

Paul.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it whilst zentyal was still beta (due to that being in the holidays) so it was a bit buggy to start with, however it now runs perfectly.

Performance was great once set up, so much quicker. I also set up a transparent proxy which helped as well.

Out of interest I installed vnstat on the server and monitored all the nics. The results where quite interesting. I hadn't set any limits or weights in the zentyal interface, however it seems to be quite smart, as the faster internet connect was receiving about 2/3 of the total download/upload, with the slower one receiving the other 1/3.

The only small annoyance is that when a user first opens a web browser it can take a while to connect first time for some reason, but then it is nice and fast.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: