Rubik's Hub

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Rubik's Hub

Postby heiowge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:37 am

Rubik's Hűb (spelt hub, pronounced to rhyme with "cube") is a fully functional USB 2.0 hub built inside a no longer (in any way at all) functional rubik's cube.

It doesn't turn (I thought about it, and there's a cube with no centre pieces or core (so you can see through it) that could house the hub, but it would require making some special pieces to stop the USB sockets snapping off when it's turned too far. This is beyond me. Plus I couldn't find a hub thin enough with USB ports on flexable arms.

It is tested, but I will offer no guarantee of safety if and when I eventually come to sell it.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:12 pm

thats amazing! how long did it take you to make?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 pm

About 2 or 3 days in total. I had to pre-buy a hub and crack it open. I used this one:

because it came with 4 arms that could be bent to fit. I removed the core from the cube and cut off the back of the centres, just leaving a square and the cap. I had to glue the cube together and hollow out portions of it to fit the circuit board and I managed to hot-glue that into place without harming the connections.

I needed to re-solder the USB male connection because the socket wouldn't thread through the centre. I then assembled it all. I originally intended to have the sockets end at the centres and have them recessed inside, but the wires meant they were too far out. So I had to replace the hands / feet of the robot.

Then I copied the sticker pattern off a scrambled cube and cut the centre stickers to size.

There was a little bit more fiddling than all that, but that covers most of it.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Very impressive and original... it also beats the heck out of the "so called" rubiks cube USB hubs you can get online.

http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0565
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:32 pm

I've seen that before. I was most unimpressed. Slight twistiness and multi-colour does not capture the essense of the rubiks cube.

It's just a pity I didn't have the skill needed to make it fully functional (easy to do if you can make hubs and cast plastic - I can't).
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Hardware