Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pedant Revolt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

*Upload image of stingray

Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: RE: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

Eh? Is it my imagination, or has this entry disappeared? Spooky!
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: RE: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

If it's your imagination, I'm suffering from the same hallucination... it was definitely there yesterday (Saturday), but isn't today.
Are we seeing censorship in the LXF camp ?
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: RE: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

Yeah, where did it go, I didn't finish reading it.
Fivetimes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: RE: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

Reflecting on the tone of the post, I wonder if Rebecca is now an EX-member of LXF staff?
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: RE: The Pedant Revolt Reply with quote

Just a thought - it was, I think, the only entry dated October. I notice that September has appeared in the"Archive" section of the blog, but the September posts are still visible in the main blog (but only the September posts). Could it be cock-up rather than conspiracy - i.e. could the weekend-shift chimps have deleted the wrong month's posts from the main blog ?
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have slipped past me - I usually check the blog fairly often, but I didn't see the 'offending' post - what gives?

Andy
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca posted an entry about to-do lists (and giving them up) on Saturday morning, but it had disappeared by Sunday morning Sad
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they ought to delete some of the other blog entries as a way of stirring up interest Very Happy
Smallenhofer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been sacked, dear readers! Fatuous blog entry was deleted by mistake but it back online...
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it !
Hope you got your sock drawer sorted... Laughing
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me? I still can't see the stingray, there 544KB of something there, but it's invisible. Is it a phantom ray?
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca, I'm going to put this as nicely and thoughtfully as I can, with as much caring and compassion as i can muster.....Rebecca, your a freak.

You are a text book example of someone suffering Obssesive Compulsive Dissorder

http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Obsessive_Compulsive_Dissorder

Quote:

OCD is manifested in a variety of forms, but is most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive drive to perform a particular task or set of tasks

You took a project management book with you on holiday, who in their right mind would need to form a Business Case and produce a PID as to whether they should stop for lunch or not en route to Andalucia Smile

Just kidding Smile

One thing that did bounce around my noggin was, maybe the reason the "read emails", "tidy sock draw" etc gets done first and ticked first is because they are easy, they are predictable, they are known quantities, you have a far lower chance of failure with those so can quickly put lines through things in the list. Doing something creative like "come up with xyz for section abc" means exactly that, come up with something random, yet associated, its an unknown, being creative is harder than repeating what you know and has a much higher chance of failure than "tidy sock draw", and requires more effort just to get a line crossed off the list.
Also, you add lines in for thing's you've alread done, hence again pointing to a need to cross of the line, but its the crossing off of the line which seems to be of most importance, not the gravity/scope of the task.
So, to fit in with your change of strategy, how about changing the length of the line and thickness of pen for the items which are more important, difficult, lower chance of success etc. That way, you still get to cross things off, but the reward of a few big fat massive lines outweighs the little ones......oh wait, maybe I meant that speach for Kate Moss Wink

Thus endith the pointless patronising drivel, Smile
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
Rebecca, I'm going to put this as nicely and thoughtfully as I can, with as much caring and compassion as i can muster.....Rebecca, your a freak.

Sounds more like a programmer to me... oh, wait - that's the same thing Laughing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nigel.
(practicing programming for over 25 years - one day I hope to be good at it!)
evilnick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before Rebecca tears you limb from limb nordle, that should be "you're a freak".
And there is only one 's' in disorder...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: