Ubuntu 10.10

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 10.10

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:38 am

Anyone else tried it yet?

I left my HP2133 Mininote upgrading over night, seems to be running okay, though it'll have to wait until this evening for me to find out what else besides the wallpaper has changed.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:57 am

I have the alpha on my netbook, did all the updates not much changed. Going to install from strach this afternoon.

Does anybody know if the netbook release comes for 64bit?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 am

Only just got round to upgrading to Lucid on my netbook :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 am

Was playing around with the RC last week. Didn't get the funky new font by default though (had to enable it through the Appearance Prefs).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:36 am

I'm waiting on the all clear before upgrading. I had the screen flicker problem when I tried the Beta version, so I'm waiting to see if it's been fixed.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 am

heiowge wrote:I'm waiting to see if it's been fixed.

Surely that involves trying it?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 am

Not really. The flickery screen was a known bug. If people are trying it without having that problem, it must be fixed.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

Is it just me or are the window resizing controls ridiculously small? Maybe it was the case in 10.04, but I've always been using Xfce so I don't know. Open a terminal and try to grab the bottom-right corner to resize the window -- there's only a 1 pixel area to grab.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

The ATI flicker thing?

If so... yes there are now working ATI radeon drivers for Xorg 1.9 built in (not included with the alpha)... my ATI graphics are now better than they were in Lucid.

I've been running the RC since it was released, and I reckon it's more stable than Lucid.

The high load averages displayed by Lucid (known kernel issue) are much improved... thanks to the 2.6.35 kernel... but still a bit higher than Karmic.

I'm quite impressed... from what I've seen so far, I'd say Maverick is what Lucid *should* have been.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby MrsB » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm

When I tried the beta, ten days or so ago, there was a problem with the grub installation (tried several times) which left me unable to boot the machine other than with a live cd.

I ended up installing 10.04 and am hesitant to upgrade. I did read at the time that an upgrade from 10.04 worked for somebody in the same situation, rather than straight install of 10.10 but some reading to do before I let it do its thing.
MrsB

Postby spaceyhase » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Well, WOMM (works on my machine) although it did fail during the upgrade trying to install phpmyadmin (as it didn't have a database and didn't seem to know how to create one; so why the reconfigure/upgrade? Unknown) so didn't run through the 'clean up' step and 'reboot'. I had to do that bit manually... but it all works and there's some nice new fonts and styles, a little bit faster to use (or maybe it feels faster, hmm?). I'm an xfce user by the way so can't really comment on gnome desktop changes.

Although I'm still on grub. There's a chainload into grub2 option that doesn't work because I don't appear to have grub2 installed. I assumed that was part of the process as the option had appeared but I guess not. Is it fairly easy to install, e.g. like this?

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/how ... aunty.html

(which seems to make sense).
Last edited by spaceyhase on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
spaceyhase
LXF regular

Postby jamie_tickner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I put it on my nwtbook tonight and I don't like it.

The new panel/dock on the left is a bit confusing and the icons don't line up 100% properly.

The new default font is okay but the sizing seems to be huge compared to how I had under 10.04.

The top panel cannot be customised, when I launch a Ubuntu Desktop session as opposed to a Ubuntu Netbook session the top panel is not there at all and it is basically the netbook edition minus top panel, not the classic ubuntu desktop.

Will take time to get used to me thinks... on the plus side it runs quicker imo
jamie_tickner

Postby hecatae » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 am

installed at 1am on the 10th October, nice to see the Plymouth issue resolved on my 10in netbook, installed Desktop Edition not Netbook Edition, as Unity is unusable, far too slow
hecatae

Postby spaceyhase » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:24 am

spaceyhase wrote:http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/howto-upgrade-to-grub2-on-ubuntu-jaunty.html

(which seems to make sense).

I went ahead and changed to grub2. Fairly easy overall despite the cold sweat induced by synaptic when it says it's going to remove 'grub' before it has installed grub2.

There's a 'grub2' dummy package for upgrades and the whole thing is guided by the install configuration. One can chainload into grub2 to test and then, when it is all working, just enter the upgrade command (which is handily put into the old boot menu!).

It's not any faster though but YMMV.
spaceyhase
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 am

After being told by a load of people that the 10.10 screen flicker issue was sorted, I upgraded. It flickers. About once every 3-4 seconds. :cry:

I tried the ATI site. They gave a driver that doesn't run.

I'm gonna use Win7 for a week, then update. If it's still not fixed, I'm gonna reinstall 10.04. :cry:
heiowge
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion