Postby Rhakios » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:47 am

Retrieved from my spam box today:

United Nations Development Programme
United Nations House
Plot 617/618, Diplomatic Zone,
Central Area District, Garki,
Abuja, Nigeria.
Compensation Ref Number: UN277360NG

This is to officially notify you that you have been selected as one of the few beneficiary of 2010 United Nations 65th anniversary Compensation by random Email Search System(ESS). Your email id was lucky to be picked among the ten thousand emails that was selected worldwide by UN, you have been compensated with $200,000.00USD by United Nations as a sign to help the less privilege worldwide. to enmark the suecessful United Nations 65th Anniversary Celebration we have decided to give Ten thousand people
around the world compensation funds as a sign of reducing the global economy and financial meltdown around the world.Been among the lucky beneficiary of this compensation donation exercise you are hereby instructed to reconfirm this information's below for immediate claims

CLEARANCE FORM:

Beneficiary Full Name:
Contact Address:
Current Occupation:
Direct Telephone Number:
Mobile Number:
Next Of Kin:
Compensation Amount:
Any Valid Identity Card/National Passport:

Note: This clearance form is to be submitted to our affilated financial body Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, contact Guaranty Trust Bank Plc with the information's below for urgent transferring of your Compensation funds of $200,000.00USD.

Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
Contact Person: Mr. Philip Clark
Email: transfer_gtb@f1-zone.net
Telephone: (+234) 80 752 72423

Once again congratulation's from the entier staff's and member's of the United Nation Organisation(UN).

Sincerly
Mr. Jack Ododo
(UN Compensation Officer)

I'm inclined to wonder why they bother, is anyone really going to fall for this any more? Aside from the wonderful standard of spelling, I just love the "UN Compensation Officer's" name. :lol:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ollie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 am

Rhakios wrote:I'm inclined to wonder why they bother, is anyone really going to fall for this any more?

Unfortunately, there are still people who just can't learn that easy money doesn't exist. People just see $US200,000.00 and start dreaming about what they could spend that on. They don't think they could ever end up losing everything they already own.
ollie

Postby Bazza » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Rhakios...

> I just love the "UN Compensation Officer's" name.

Yup, as dead as....... ;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:55 pm

A rather similar one received a few days ago:
British Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcasting House,
Portland Place, London, W1A 1AA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lottery

Dear Winner,
It is another successful year as British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in conjuction with the National Lottery wish to congratulate you as your email address emerged one of the lucky winners at the 88th Edition of the BBC/National Lottery which subsequently won you the sum of £1,000,000 (ONE MILLION BRITISH POUNDS) as part of our end of the year promo. NOTE: no ticket was sold as winners were selected from a Data Base of 50,000,000 valid email addresses of active Internet Users in 2010, from which your Address came out as one of the lucky Five (5) winning coupon.

Quoting your winning Particulars as follows: 06 07 08 17 27 46 BONUS 29, You are required to contact immediately our Claims Agent for your winnings. CONTACT PERSON: Sir Harry Keith, Email: bbcagent@gala.net Telephone: +44 701 1146 668.

Endeavour to Provide Him the following information to enable Him process your winning claim.

1.Your Name:
2.Address:
3.Occupation:
4.Age:
5.Telephone Number:
6.MODE OF PAYMENT

Kindly indicate your preffered mode of payment from the options below
(1)BANK TO BANK TRANSFER (2) CERTIFIED BANK CHEQUE

Ensure to claim your winnings as quickly as possible as failure to claim your winnings before Ten(10) working days from the day of this notofication will lead to cancellation of your prize from this Year's Edition of the BBC Lottery Promo.

Best Regards

Mr. Scott Mills
(Presenter/Co-ordinator)
BBC/National Lottery, UK
CC: Geraldine Dowd(Director)
CC: Andy Atkinson (Producer)
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Better standard of spelling there though. Presumably they had an English language spill chucker installed. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby leke » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 pm

If phishing is their game, it surprises me that they haven't got on the copyright violation out of court settlement yet.

Something like...

We have traced an illegal album/movie download of <current number1 album/movie here> to your IP Address and are in the process of surpinering your details from your internet provider.
blah, blah, threats etc...
We are offering you a chance to pay a fine of 1000 quid directly to our offices so that court and criminal proceedings do not have to proceed. Failure to do so will incur a possible compensation claim ranging into the hundreds of thousands and/or imprisonment blah blah more threats.
This chance expires in 1 week of receiving the email. Please contact us on this number +4412345678 ASAP. Do not reply to this email (because it's spoofed).

Regards,
Legal representatives of the MPAA/RIAA or some other *****.

With piracy so rampant, chances are there are a lot of people who have actually downloaded the top album or movie and would probably fall for it. By just receiving an email like this, they'll be pooping in their pants.
leke
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am

Well this is uncanny, I too have received this wonderful news, fingers crossed I replied before you did Rhakios :)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Santander* customer relations just asked me to login to prevent me being scammed, I don't have an account with them :roll:

*substitute any bank you like, I don't do online banking :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Same here. I don't do online banking and yet HSBC and co. are always contacting me about my account! It's also strange that they can't afford to buy hsbc.com, and have to use domains like otbet11.ru or crack-srv351.biz instead. Poor HSBC, perhaps I should give them some money!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:14 pm

As a taxpayer, you already have :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 pm

The only bank I don't get phishing mails from is the one I use. I have had quite a number from banks all across the world, the only problem being that I don't understand Portuguese, Turkish, Polish (?) and several others i have somewhat less idea about.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Rhakios wrote:The only bank I don't get phishing mails from is the one I use. I have had quite a number from banks all across the world, the only problem being that I don't understand Portuguese, Turkish, Polish (?) and several others i have somewhat less idea about.

me either, i use online banking and my bank never contact me through email??
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 pm

I've yet to find a bank that communicates with fish... :roll: :?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 pm

This just in:

Get back to me Via email: <deleted so as not to spread it around unnecessarily> I need your help to evacuate $5million there is no danger involve. I am in Iraq with the US Soldier

Really? Is that it? Must try harder!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby roseway » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:56 pm

I am in Iraq with the US Soldier

Is there only one left then?
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic