Peppermint Linux

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Peppermint Linux

Postby leke » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Tis a nice little distro. Very fast and runs great on my old eeePC4G. Install takes little space in comparison to other distros. Peppermint seems to be somewhat cloud orientated which is nice if you like that type of thing :)

OS home: http://peppermintos.com/
Community home: http://peppermintos.net
leke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I tried it. I was indeed fast and efficient. I quite liked it, but I didn't find it particularly stable though. Is this the norm?

I found Linux Mint LXDE to be just as fast, if not faster and more stable.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 pm

heiowge wrote:I tried it. I was indeed fast and efficient. I quite liked it, but I didn't find it particularly stable though. Is this the norm?

I found Linux Mint LXDE to be just as fast, if not faster and more stable.
I've been playing with it now for a couple of hours, messing with settings and customisation and haven't had any problems. Well I had to install gStreamer FFMPEG to play xvid movies, but that was the only surprise.
leke
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:25 pm

heiowge, it seems you have jinxed my peppermint install :D
Like you said, I've now noticed some problems with it :roll:
I'm still downloading the LM LXDE iso. In the meantime, I also tried SliTaz which was like 30MB :o It's pretty good too except it required a lot of manual configuring which I couldn't figure out how to do in the end.
Any time now, I'll have LM ready...any time now...
leke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 pm

I think I remember reading that slitaz had issues...

btw, the PC I used LM LDXE and all the others on was my Mum's eeepc 900 series ( similar to the 4G, but with slightly more RAM and a larger screen). I would have tried them on my 2G, except there wasn't enough drive space.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Mikeo0302 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I've been using peppermint for about 9 months now. It's pretty good but I'm currently trying to dual boot my netbook (a first-generation acer aspire one) in order to make it more work-friendly. Peppermint is great for fun stuff but I need something more offline-compatible for making lesson plans and stuff.

I haven't had any stability issues, or any issues at all for what I've been using it for (browsing, google docs, etc).

I stried Slitaz for my dual boot, but didn't like what I saw on the live disc. Currently trying to get Xubuntu on the go, but have had a lot of errors installing from the CDS (think I'll try a USB boot) and its been too long since I manually installed an OS to brave Zenwalk
Mikeo0302

Postby heiowge » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 pm

I don't know why, but I always had a lot of problems getting Xubuntu onto an eeepc. Ubuntu and Lubuntu went on fine, but not Xubuntu... :?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Other OS