Anybody Totally Switch To Linux?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby ajgreeny » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 pm

As I have said in a previous post, my house is totally windows/mac free, and neither of us miss M$ (that's what we did use before linux), not even one little bit.

I have just spent a few hours updating a desktop with XP on it for a group of visiting students that we organise. It would be great to push them onto linux for their three month visit, but there are too many complaints that they can't use iTunes, etc etc, so XP it has to be.

The desktop had not been updated for 9 months, but stored away awaiting the student visit, but it had not occurred to me that it would take so long; probably the best part of about 5 or 6 hours sitting and waiting for the M$ updates, then the virus checker updates (AVG), then Zone Alarm free firewall, then java, etc. It just went on and on and on. I could have installed a complete new linux OS and added all the extra packages, codecs, updates, and so on, several times over whilst I waited for blasted XP to do its stuff.

Thank goodness this household is free of all that horrible need. Now we must try harder to get those students to work a bit harder at using and enjoying a real OS, linux style.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:46 am

ajgreeny wrote:... there are too many complaints that they can't use iTunes

For personal use, that is the big killer. I could get away with using UFRaw and GIMP for my image editing but I just can't interact with my iPod and iTunes Store without using either Windows or Mac OS X. Currently using Windows 7 for iTunes but I've moved my iTunes Library around over that last few years.

For work it's a different matter. I have to prepare lessons for students setting up Windows PCs/Servers or using the Adobe Creative Suite for digital media. It's just too entrenched as the industry standard for us to not teach it.
ollie

Postby DippyGirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:55 am

ollie wrote: It's just too entrenched as the industry standard for us to not teach it.

Therein lies the problem. Certainly in the UK it seems children in schools (ITC) are taught Micro$oft not computing - they go to work and all they can do is M$ ... loop !

Sad but true - We even have courses at work to get people from Office N to Office N+1 ... again sad but true.

It's going to be a long slog
DippyGirl

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:14 am

It's just too entrenched as the industry standard for us to not teach it.

I will have to agree to disagree here because we have taught GCSE ICT, OCR National ICT, BTEC ICT and A-Level ICT to 100% A*-C without any problems at all using Linux and Open Source only.

We have been doing this now for about 5 years and have yet to hear anyone say that it caused them a problem with University/College/Jobs.

I agree with DippyGirl though, alot of schools do teach programs rather than skills, and this we avoid completely, which is why it might work for us.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby khakilang » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 am

One thing for sure the presence of Micro$oft is too huge to ignore from other vendors and users. Hence the education will use Micro$oft. But its good to see them use Linux.
khakilang
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:I will have to agree to disagree here because we have taught GCSE ICT, OCR National ICT, BTEC ICT and A-Level ICT to 100% A*-C without any problems at all using Linux and Open Source only.

How'd you do that? When ever I said linux or open source desktops (I have infected about 50% of the schools servers with linux :D ) I was shot down by the IT dept (who want to use free stuff) saying that for GCSE, a level, etc they need to use MS Access (that was the biggest one) and excel
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

all linux

Postby koldpenguin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:10 am

I switched completely to linux (suse) over 10 years ago. I've recently moved to Slackware and am finding it to be the right move. I do keep win7 in a vm for managing content on my ipod touch 4th gen. Rarely do I ever change anything on it so seems like a waste of good HDD space. Look forward to possibly giving some good input for others, but first I'll have to Finnish reading all the nuggets here on the forum. Great stuff everyone :D
Long time suse user turned Slackware noob
koldpenguin

Re: all linux

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:14 am

koldpenguin wrote:Finnish reading
Nope, this resembles English, not Finnish, as I can understand the former, but certainly not the latter! :roll: And I won't start about "American" either :P :mrgreen:

(sorry, just get my coat and hat and all that... ;))
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

I am a gamer so I have that Win7 partition for when I do that. I also need to use a bit of software for my Open Uni course which is windows only, but that could easily be done in a VM.

I think most of my friends would certainly make the leap if it weren't for gaming aspect.
Brian Hunter

Postby GeordieJedi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Not 100% but almost.

I have 2 PCs

1. Desktop. Dual boots - Win 7 / Ubuntu 10.10
2. Laptop. Dual boots - Win 7 / Ubuntu 11.10

I spend the majority of my time in Linux (at least 95%) and I LOVE it !

The only reason that I have Windows is for iTunes and some games.
(Jedi Knight 2+3, and the WH 40K Dawn of War series).

I have also got my flatmate dual booting between Win Vista and Linux Mint 10.
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Postby Debian Acolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

I switched to Linux four years ago and my computer has never been infected with Microsoft since. OpenOffice handles my books better than MS Word could ever dream of doing; GIMP for digital illustration; desktop decorated with functional and beautiful Conky; no bloated DE. Games are not a priority, so Linux meets my frugal needs in that department.

Linux, and only Linux, user and loving it. :D
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Anybody Totally Switch To Linux?

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Totally with you Deb Aco.
10 years a user: 10 years a winner.
Best
David
Full of Minty Goodness...
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby Gonzalez Rivera » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 am

I am using Vista and Linux on 4 machines. I am satisfied from Linux and its attached functions to run the applications.

[spam link removed]
Gonzalez Rivera

Previous

Return to Off Topic