Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux and Laptops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayTrem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Linux and Laptops Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody knows of a company in the UK whos harware (especially laptops) is guaranteed to support linux?
Cheers
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux and Laptops Reply with quote

HP claim to do this, but you still have to buy Windows on the laptop & then install Linux.
Dell were also claiming to sell laptops with RedHat preinstalled, but I've never found it on their website Sad

Nigel.
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux and Laptops Reply with quote

HP also claims to sell laptops with FreeDOS pre-installed (instead of Windows), but they seem to be impossible to acquire if (a) you're not in the US or (b) you're not a so-called Large Enterprise customer. And even then it seems to be quite hard. (I went to HP's US website pretending to be a Large Enterprise customer, but after filling in forms describing what sort of configuration I wanted, I was fobbed off with an nx6110 with Windows pre-installed.)
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux and Laptops Reply with quote

Novatech will at least sell you a system (desktop or laptop) with no OS at all on it, although they don't offer any support for Linux as such. I've got SuSE 9.2 running quite happily on a laptop I bought from them a couple of years back (although 8.2 didn't like the ProSavage graphics chipset).

Nigel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: