Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LinuxFormat Academy Paul Hudson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S4B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: LinuxFormat Academy Paul Hudson Reply with quote

I have been having increasing trouble trying to follow the instructions from the tutorials and fallen at first hurdle with Project1. There seems to be a huge assumption that whoever reads understands the steps that need to be undertaken but not noted down in the tutorial for those becoming initiated in this wonderful Linux world.

Has anyone taken the trouble to flesh this out for the novices with a dedicated forum or notice board /Blogg to help us out. I desperately want to nail this understanding so I can get on with doing something exciting and developing.

Also

I have Installed on my notebook Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome Graphical interface and installed MonoDevelop which all seems to be fine but its tricky when reading some other posts to understand that something like the:- "now type this
cd ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug
produces error no such file or folder found
then reading these posts a suggestion is that this lives on the Media CD that came with the acadamy tutorial and should be pointed at as /media/ dadada!
1) I have a notebook as the development platform so I'd have to copy the CD onto a usb or external H/Drive and point and
2) why would I want to point to it externally when the MonoDevelop Run MainClass should create the ToDoList in the MonoDevelop directory as a folder to call?

I'm very confussed...Any help guidence and rational comments would be greatly appreciated.

Confused
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why post all in bold? Your message is no more important than others on this board Smile I've removed the tags. Good luck getting an answer.

M
S4B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Apology M Reply with quote

Thx for removing mistake on my part.

S4B
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the this image where you are creating your first Hello World program.

First empty field Name: enter ToDoList
Next field Location: Set this to where you want your projects saving to. Lets say /home/s4b/
Place a tick in the create separate solution box if not already there.
Third field should have auto populated with, ToDoList

Make a note of the where the "Project will be saved at" which should say this /home/s4d/ToDoList/ToDoList if using my examlpe.

When you open a terminal it should default to your home directory of sb4@netbook:~$ (am asumming your login ID is s4b and machine hostname is netbook), if not just do cd ~ to get to home.

Now you should be able to cd ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug

As to the Live CD bit, it was meant for people running Windows (or non Ubuntu Linux distro) to be able to load the same environment that Paul was using and defaulted to using /home/user/Projects as the default project location which caused the path confusion with printed version of the Academy.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: