ReactOS

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

ReactOS

Postby khakilang » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 am

Its compatible to Windows application. Is it stable? Does it work on most of the latest applications and game? Does it have any hardware issues like driver and firmware? Is it easily infected by virus like the original? Maybe it can give me another reason to ditch Windows. Thanks to anybody who reply?
khakilang
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 am

Here you go.

But...

Reactos home page wrote:Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.12 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby khakilang » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:03 am

I been to their website. Actually I was looking for someone who had hands on and experience the ReactOS to share. Just want to find out how compatible it is with current application and games. Thanks!
khakilang
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 am

It would indeed be interesting to read of anyone's hands-on experience. But I see that the Wikipedia page on Reactos says "The kernel is incomplete, and only a few Windows applications run without problems."

Did you find the forum on the Reactos site:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/

That might be useful to follow.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 am

I've been playing around with it every six months for the last five years or so. It's pretty cool, but astronomical units away from being "finished". Understandably, quite a lot of tweaked open source stuff works pretty well, and I can see it being a useful, familiar Windows-ish OS in another five years. But businesses aren't going to be flocking towards it any time soon.

They had a big hoo-hah a few years ago about disassembling binaries from Win2K, and then a long audit, which set things back considerably. And it the forum is full of "ZOMG I know Visual Basic so I'm gonna add 34 new features to ReactOS" kids who waste everyone's time.

Still, good luck to them!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

...only a few Windows applications run without problems...

astronomical units away from being "finished"... quite a lot of tweaked open source stuff works pretty well

Are you talking about ReactOS or Windows?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
pastychomper

@ pastychomper

Postby Nuke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Pastychomper, new keyboard please :lol:
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi Mike...

> And it the forum is full of "ZOMG I know Visual Basic so I'm gonna
> add 34 new features to ReactOS" kids who waste everyone's time.

Ooooh, you are a cynic... ;o)

I can write in ARexx so I`m gonna add 651.7 new features for MikeOS. ;oD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby khakilang » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:15 am

RedWillow wrote:It would indeed be interesting to read of anyone's hands-on experience. But I see that the Wikipedia page on Reactos says "The kernel is incomplete, and only a few Windows applications run without problems."

Did you find the forum on the Reactos site:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/

That might be useful to follow.

Interesting enough but I am not a heavy user. So if it is compatible with some application like Firefox, VLC, Gimp, Open Office and game like Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne is good enough for me. Anyway thank to all who reply. I may have a go at it.
khakilang
LXF regular

Return to Other OS