Mike's Haynes Manual

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mike's Haynes Manual

Postby Marrea » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:56 am

I was in Foyles yesterday and noticed they had placed Mike's Haynes Manual in a very prominent position on top of the bookshelf section devoted to Linux. I spotted that dratted penguin on the cover from the other side of the floor and had to go over and investigate. How on earth do you find the time to complete all these projects, Mike?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am

Hehe, the secret is: putting everything else in life on the back-burner for three months! Glad to hear it's prominently displayed, and not mistakenly shoved in with the Haynes car maintenance books :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 am

M-Saunders wrote:Glad to hear it's prominently displayed, and not mistakenly shoved in with the Haynes car maintenance books :-)

You might be amused by the (so far) one customer review on Amazon headed “Didn’t fix my car” which says “Not only is book nothing to do with penguins (look at the cover), it didn't help me fix my 1968 Vauxhall Linux.”

I thought that was quite funny.

I myself had a quick look through the book and was impressed by the content and presentation/layout. I think anyone curious about Linux would immediately be encouraged to give it a go after flicking through the pages. Good that there is a CD included as well.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby linux_dan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Marrea wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:Glad to hear it's prominently displayed, and not mistakenly shoved in with the Haynes car maintenance books :-)

You might be amused by the (so far) one customer review on Amazon headed “Didn’t fix my car” which says “Not only is book nothing to do with penguins (look at the cover), it didn't help me fix my 1968 Vauxhall Linux.”

I thought that was quite funny.

I myself had a quick look through the book and was impressed by the content and presentation/layout. I think anyone curious about Linux would immediately be encouraged to give it a go after flicking through the pages. Good that there is a CD included as well.

Picked up this book for a tenner on Amazon very impressed. :D
linux_dan

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 am

linux_dan wrote:Picked up this book for a tenner on Amazon very impressed. :D

Thanks :-) If you possibly perhaps maybe leave a nice review on Amazon, I'll be able to live off more than 8p Tesco Value Noodles for a while :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby linux_dan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 pm

M-Saunders wrote:
linux_dan wrote:Picked up this book for a tenner on Amazon very impressed. :D

Thanks :-) If you possibly perhaps maybe leave a nice review on Amazon, I'll be able to live off more than 8p Tesco Value Noodles for a while :-)

M

No worries will do!
linux_dan

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

M-Saunders wrote:8p Tesco Value Noodles for a while :-)

See now that is why my uni needs a tesco! We have to live with a coop or morrisons.

oh and that amazon comment is genius.

M-Saunders wrote:putting everything else in life on the back-burner for three months!

Does that mean we get more tuxradar stuff now?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:05 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:putting everything else in life on the back-burner for three months!

No, that book was written outside of my daily job of also writing about Linux :-) It didn't take any time away from releasing free content on the net!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:8p Tesco Value Noodles for a while :-)

See now that is why my uni needs a tesco! We have to live with a coop or morrisons.

oh and that amazon comment is genius.

And what UNI would that be?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 pm

one in the middle of wales. There is a tesco 1hour drive north, east and south of us.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Then who in their right mind goes to a uni when you know the nearest Tesco is an hour away :roll: Even if it's in the middle of Wales :twisted:

:mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

I never said I was in the right mind...

and the brochure was yellow and at the top of a massive pile and I couldn't be bothered to read all of them...

I just have to get my tesco fix when I go home (which takes over 6 hours.... :D )

I do wonder why sometimes...

But it never rains here :D (apart from this week for some reason...)

Anywho when did this become about me. Back to the haynes manual. Someone should write one for choosing a uni (or a for dummies :D )
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Return to Discussion