Very Tempting But...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Very Tempting But...

Postby khakilang » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 am

I just bought issue 143 with Debian Squeeze DVD and install it on an old computer which is Compaq P4 with 512MB RAM and 20GB hard disk. Everything went smooth except when it go to sleep it doesn't want to wake. But a part from that everything works great. So I am very tempted to wipe my Ubuntu and install Debian. I love Ubuntu but I couldn't keep up with the every 6 month upgrade. So just like to find out what you guys think.
khakilang
LXF regular

Re: Very Tempting But...

Postby Rhakios » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 am

khakilang wrote:I love Ubuntu but I couldn't keep up with the every 6 month upgrade. So just like to find out what you guys think.

You don't need to upgrade Ubuntu every six months, 10.04 is good for three years (well, about two years now), which is probably when you'll see the next Debian ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Very Tempting But...

Postby ollie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:39 am

Rhakios wrote:You don't need to upgrade Ubuntu every six months, 10.04 is good for three years (well, about two years now), which is probably when you'll see the next Debian ;)

I thought Debian 7 would be released in 2014 :P
ollie

Postby Ram » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 am

I stopped the 6 month updates, still running 10.4.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am

I intended to do that , but I just can't resist the upgrade urge, although I usually wait a month or so until the cries of pain and frustration die down. :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:39 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:I intended to do that , but I just can't resist the upgrade urge, although I usually wait a month or so until the cries of pain and frustration die down. :)

I've got to agree, but it's really hard to wait that month sometimes. Though I must admit I'm worried about 11.04 with Unity.
ollie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 pm

I quite like Unity, the latest version is great, tried it on my desktop pc (installed from the repos on 10.10).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Unity is horrible and very buggy. Frequently crashes on my netbook. I never put laptops to sleep or hibernate as in my opinion the failure rate is too high to justify the benefit.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Been using it on my netbook for a while, no problems.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby khakilang » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 am

There seem to be love and hate about Unity from various forum including Ubuntu. But the result will be out next month. We shall see. Anyway I am using 10.10 on my main computer and I might wait until the support runs out next year and than I decide. Since I got another computer running Debian Squeeze. A bit slow but manageable. Thanks guys and thanks to Linux Format for being such a great magazine.
khakilang
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 am

Howdy All,

Rhakios wrote:
>>
You don't need to upgrade Ubuntu every six months, 10.04 is good for three years (well, about two years now), which is probably when you'll see the next Debian :wink:
>>

I'm a bit surprised with the last bit there, (scrate_head_with_edge_of_finger.png)...

The "next" debian, is largely irrelevant. Upgrading as a continuum is part of, and was the originally preferred, model. And easy to do, so there is no argument for concern on that issue.

But, the concept continues to persist, in spite of how many times it's explained or mentioned :roll: I wish release oriented distro users could get past that. It's almost like a bit of fud creeping in from a linux direction, in a strange way. Though i don't think it is actually intentional. A bit slack though, none the less.

Out of interest, and on a more positive note, can anyone say how much of the install there was on the disc (please).

:)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

Hi khakilang...

> I just bought issue 143 with Debian Squeeze DVD and install it on an
> old computer which is Compaq P4 with 512MB RAM and 20GB hard
> disk.
> Everything went smooth except when it go to sleep it doesn't want to
> wake. But a part from that everything works great. So I am very tempted
> to wipe my Ubuntu and install Debian. I love Ubuntu but I couldn't keep
> up with the every 6 month upgrade. So just like to find out what you
> guys think.

I run it now, and it is pretty good but not breathtaking.
It can be made to cough especially when the repository has software
that relies on /dev/adsp, /dev/audio and /dev/dsp; and believe me there
are some which means they are broken before you start...

I`ve tried Ubuntu but it is trying to hard to be the eye candy equivalent
of the MSWorld (TM).

Debian has simplicity coupled with functionality; eye candy does not
seem to be the prime mover to that team and to me this works well.

An honest opinion.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:00 pm

jjmac wrote:Howdy All,

Rhakios wrote:
>>
You don't need to upgrade Ubuntu every six months, 10.04 is good for three years (well, about two years now), which is probably when you'll see the next Debian :wink:
>>

I'm a bit surprised with the last bit there, (scrate_head_with_edge_of_finger.png)...

The "next" debian, is largely irrelevant. Upgrading as a continuum is part of, and was the originally preferred, model. And easy to do, so there is no argument for concern on that issue.

But, the concept continues to persist, in spite of how many times it's explained or mentioned :roll: I wish release oriented distro users could get past that. It's almost like a bit of fud creeping in from a linux direction, in a strange way. Though i don't think it is actually intentional. A bit slack though, none the less.

The idea that Debian is simply a rolling update distro is rather confounded by dramatic changes like that from KDE3.5.10 to KDE4.4.5. One would really expect a more gradual update path. The fact that one can upgrade between stable releases is also found in other distros that have no problems with saying that they release oriented.
It has nothing to do with FUD, look the term up before you use it.

Edit: Indeed, thinking about it, one could do rolling updates of Ubuntu on a six-monthly basis as this path is supported and the software version number updates will be a good deal less dramatic than those seen between Debians.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby RedWillow » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 pm

khakilang wrote:There seem to be love and hate about Unity from various forum including Ubuntu.

A lot of the hate is based on misunderstandings and experience of the 10.10 version of Unity - which is mediocre compared with 11.04 - and the very early development phase of 11.04 - which was very feature incomplete.

I'm posting from the Unity desktop in Natty Alpha on a large 24" monitor. It makes sense on a desktop monitor (contrary to what some of the shriller opinions would have you believe) and it's matured quite rapidly in the last couple of weeks. It's much more stable than it was. I can rely on it now for regular work, rather than just testing.

Keep an open mind and you'll probably find it's a pleasure to use.
RedWillow
LXF regular

post subject

Postby Frustrated » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

I had a look at the beta 3 of 11.04 and found that it screwed up my desktop background. I favour backgrounds from pictures that I have taken but find that at the moment the various info on the screen cuts out some of the effect that I am looking for.

I think that I will await the mag delivering their offering by which time I would have hoped the gremlins have been sorted out.

Initial reaction was not too favourable but I will follow RedWillow and keep an open mind.
Ubuntu 10.04; Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11, 1GB RAM.
Frustrated
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion