GNOME 3

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

GNOME 3

Postby felis_silvestris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:07 am

Who else here has been using GNOME 3, and how are you finding it? I've been using it with Fedora 15 Beta for the last week, and I've just run out of patience, bowed to the wisdom of Mike, and gone over to XFCE - quite simply because the new layout of the desktop makes it slower and more complicated for me to carry out the simple process I need to follow every day for my business (swap repeatedly between three virtual desktops running a browser, cataloguing software, and a text editor). I'm not aware of any way to select a virtual desktop from the side panel without going through the process of shrinking the active window, selecting the desktop I want to change over to, then expanding that window, which gets pretty tiresome after a while, as does zooming in and out of the different windows if I pile all three into a single virtual desktop: I just want to move swiftly and cleanly between different windows, all running maximised. Yours, teh Sussex Wildcat.
felis_silvestris

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 am

Sounds like what you really need are KDE Activities :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: GNOME 3

Postby RedWillow » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

felis_silvestris wrote:I'm not aware of any way to select a virtual desktop from the side panel without going through the process of shrinking the active window, selecting the desktop I want to change over to, then expanding that window, which gets pretty tiresome after a while, as does zooming in and out of the different windows if I pile all three into a single virtual desktop: I just want to move swiftly and cleanly between different windows, all running maximised.

That's an interesting and valid criticism. In the gnome3 shell versus Unity battle that's raging in some (immature) corners that would be a score for Unity. In Unity the workspace switcher is in the Launcher (aka Dock) and the Dock doesn't disappear permanently when all windows are maximised. I can't remember the default dock behaviour but there are various settings in the Unity plugin in compizconfig-settings-manager for it including autohide, never (i.e.stay there) and dodge windows.

I've been trying out both gnome-shell in gnome3 and Unity and although some features of gnome-shell appear to be better designed, I find Unity better as a working environment. It's come along well in the Natty/11.04 development cycle.

Natty Narwhal is being released today, so wait for the rush to subside and download the live CD to try it. Of course, that won't do if you are one of the Ubuntu haters! :)

Useful link for those who do want to try Unity.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby felis_silvestris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 am

I'd be very tempted to adopt KDE, if only there wasn't that cashew thing, lurking like some throbbing orangey-yellow spider, in the top corner of the screen ...
felis_silvestris

Postby felis_silvestris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 am

That's really interesting about Unity, I hadn't given the project much attention, as I haven't used Ubuntu for a while (I used to run it on my laptop, but changed over to Mint), but I'd certainly give it a go, if it has the same design benefits as GNOME 3 without the specific problems accessing the virtual desktops.
felis_silvestris

Postby Brian Hunter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:34 am

Just though I would post the Gnome 3 Cheat Sheet so that people can get the most out of Gnome 3.

I've installed the Fedora 15 Beta and I am using it through that, and I do like it. The one thing that sometimes causes me pause is the way that the applications are just listed alphabetically, rather than group by type (Office, Internet, ect). Apparently I would fire through the menu and identify an application from an icon, so for those sometimes used apps I am sometimes left thinking "What the hell is it called again?".

Using the mouse to switch between applications can be a bit of a chore, but I find the keyboard shortcuts helpful. Interestingly I never used multiple desktops until now, but I have a minumum of two now since using Gnome 3.
Brian Hunter

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:15 am

felis_silvestris wrote:I'd be very tempted to adopt KDE, if only there wasn't that cashew thing, lurking like some throbbing orangey-yellow spider, in the top corner of the screen ...

You could move it to the bottom :)

I don't know if it's a theme thing, but my cashew is translucent and inconspicuous. It only goes throbby yellow when I mouse over it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Nerdy-ish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm

nelz wrote:
felis_silvestris wrote:I'd be very tempted to adopt KDE, if only there wasn't that cashew thing, lurking like some throbbing orangey-yellow spider, in the top corner of the screen ...

You could move it to the bottom :)

Pah! All you need to do is leave it in the top corner, then put a Plasmoid over it, like a CPU status for example. Now you can see useful information, and the cashew cannot be activated because the Plasmoid is on top of it. Win win. 8)
Nerdy-ish

Postby SpecialStuff » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm currently using Gnome 3 on Opensuse after trying the live disc, and I am completely in love with it. Just finding it very easy to use and fun. I too had never used virtual desktops before, but here now they make sense to me without the 3D cube in the way. I never did care much for the cube. Looks great in screenshots, but was never practical to me. Having to press two keys and a mouse to move it was crazy. I much prefer the way it's set up in Gnome 3. A quick *swish* of the mouse and it's all there. I love the new desktop recording tool too. Brilliant that they put that in as a default plaything in Gnome 3.

It's inevitable there'll be a load of complaints at first, but I suspect that once it's had time to settle, people will begin to see how great it really is.

Kudos to Opensuse too for a brilliant implementation of it so quickly too. Not had any real issues with it at all, which is a real testament to the devs there, and it was a doddle to install. Magic.
SpecialStuff

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:29 pm

SpecialStuff wrote:I'm currently using Gnome 3 on Opensuse after trying the live disc, and I am completely in love with it. Just finding it very easy to use and fun. I too had never used virtual desktops before, but here now they make sense to me without the 3D cube in the way. I never did care much for the cube. Looks great in screenshots, but was never practical to me. Having to press two keys and a mouse to move it was crazy. I much prefer the way it's set up in Gnome 3. A quick *swish* of the mouse and it's all there. I love the new desktop recording tool too. Brilliant that they put that in as a default plaything in Gnome 3.

It's inevitable there'll be a load of complaints at first, but I suspect that once it's had time to settle, people will begin to see how great it really is.

Kudos to Opensuse too for a brilliant implementation of it so quickly too. Not had any real issues with it at all, which is a real testament to the devs there, and it was a doddle to install. Magic.

I have yet to try gnome 3 as it will not display properly on my machines (both laptop & desktop over 6 years old) but the compiz cube works great on both, and I have never used the two keys and mouse to get it spinning; I use the middle button on an empty part of the desktop. I accept it's not possible to do that in maximised windows, but if you don't have windows maximised, it is the best way.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:42 pm

I hear good things about Enlightenment as used on Bodhi linux. Anybody tried it?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Slightly disappointed

Postby pwbrum61 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:21 am

I would love to try Gnome 3 on my laptop but when I tried the version on the LXF DVD it defaulted to the legacy desktop. To be fair, the same thing occurs when trying Ubuntu 11.04: Unity won't run.
I'd have thought the Nvidia card in my Dell Latitude D630 would be sufficient - it certainly has no problem with Compiz.

I have tried the Fedora Gnome3 Live CD on my PC at work (Intel graphics) and there are some bits I like and some I'm not so sure about - maybe I need to spend more time with it to make a proper judgement. However, I'm reluctant to install it (and possibly trash my existing settings in the process) at work under Ubuntu 10.10 until I'm happy I can use it and not lose time trying to figure things out.

Unfortunately, neither Unity nor Gnome3 appear to work in a virtual environment such as VMware or VirtualBox.

I find this somewhat frustrating as one of the "selling points" of Linux that I've used when promoting its adoption to others is that you don't (normally) require a hardware upgrade for it to run, yet here we are with new default desktops for Ubuntu (and F15?) which seem to require a change in graphis card in order to function - precisely the sort of thing we scoffed at MS for when they brought out Windows 7 pre-Alpha (sorry, Vista :wink: )
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 am

I'm just upgrading to Fedora 15 as we speak, I don't know if it will work with the GFX in my PC off the bat. It should do as I installed the NVidia drivers for it in Fedora 14.

I've tried Gnome 3 at work, and I'm in two minds, so I think I can have the patience to get used to it. I just hope I don't get stuck in the mindset that I HAVE to use it, because it might be hard finding it anywhere else at the moment.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Slight progress

Postby pwbrum61 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:09 am

Tried the fedora based live CD from gnome.org on my laptop and it works. Quite why that one does and the one on the LXF disk doesn't, I don't know.
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 pm

The gnome 3 dvd from LXF 145 is giving me display problems with all text totally unreadable, so I am unable to see if I like it or not.

I can not get unity on Ubuntu 11.04 to run at all; it just boots to the gnome 2 classic desktop, so I can't see what I think of that either, though when I tried it on the 10.10 netbook version it was absolutely awful; completely unusable.

Can anyone tell me if it will be possible when using gnome 3 to have a classic desktop with the taskbars and a desktop where I can put icons and launchers?

I use ubuntu 10.04 at the moment, and I have the system running with a single click to start many applications with just that one mouse click from desktop icons. That, together with the compiz plugins for window management is the quickest way I have found to do things, but it looks as if that may not be possible soon when gnome 2 goes the way of kde 3.5.x.

Some sites are suggesting that what most people think of as gnome 3, and what you have on the dvd, is in fact gnome shell running on top of gnome 3. Is that correct?

I am beginning to feel that I am already, or am fast becoming a bit of a dinosaur, but it seems to me that these new desktop environments are pretty useless for those who like to customise their desktops.

PS: I don't think I have ever seen so many complaints on the ubuntuforums about a new version as I have with this one to 11.04, so perhaps I am not in the minority, as I thought I was.

PPS: I think I shall be looking for a new DE such as xfce, or even lxde (xubuntu or lubuntu) if unity and gnome 3 (shell?) remain so difficult to use the way I want. I already use lubuntu on an old laptop, and my netbook, and think it is great on that. I am now looking at xubuntu as well, but I am having some problems with the 11.04 version of xubuntu.

Perhaps it's just my older hardware that gives the problems?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion