Firefox 4 changes

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Firefox 4 changes

Postby Nerdy-ish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Are the Firefox developers starting to learn bad habits from Microsoft, namely, change for changes sake?

Installed Firefox 4, and the tabs bar have now moved to the top of the everything, although it is possible to get them back to where they have always been.

Also, they are putting the add-ons list into a tab instead of a pop-up window.
Nerdy-ish

Postby johnhudson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't think so; the problem with Firefox as far as I am concerned is that it used to take up far too much space at the top of the screen - not a good strategy when most screens have more horizontal than vertical space. It still isn't as stripped down as Konqueror, which only has three rows compared with Firefox's four, but it is an improvement from my point of view.

Mais chaque à son goût . . .
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm

I kind of like the changes in the Firefox 4 as well... Even the panorama view is useful I think, even though I did not think so from the beginning.
shaddack

Postby ollie » Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Using Ubuntu 10.10 with the Firefox 4 PPA (http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ble/ubuntu) and there is a major difference to Firefox 4 on Windows 7. The title bar is still displayed, realistically just to display the 3 buttons in the top left (Close/Minimise/Maximise). This taking up extra room that could be used to display web page content.
ollie

Firefox 4 changes

Postby Tony4 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:20 pm

I've used Firefox for as long as I can remember. However I agree with the Microsoft comment. Firefox used to be bullet proof, but I now find it suffers from glitches every so often.
Tony4

Postby DaveS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm

johnhudson wrote:I don't think so; the problem with Firefox as far as I am concerned is that it used to take up far too much space at the top of the screen.

Hit F11, but not if you are using JWM as it borks it and you are stuck in full screen forever :(
Mostly Minty with a dash of Puppy......
DaveS

Return to Discussion