Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resizing Windows partition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikejd
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Resizing Windows partition Reply with quote

I am trying to resize a Windows XP partition so I can install openSUSE to dual boot.

I have run the Windows defrag and then run the install. When setting up the partitions it offered a Windows partition resize of about 172GB despite there only being about 20GB of files.

So I downloaded a third party defrag progam, Raxco PerfectDisk, which I had seen recommended. Ran this and it defragged the drive, both immediately and at reboot. The install still only offered a resize of 164GB. Looking at the cluster map I think the reason is some Metadata located near the middle of the drive. PerfectDisk doesn't move this to close up free space.

I also tried another program, Puran Defrag, which did appear to close up the free space but still didn't move the metadata.

The cluster map shows:
Block 1 - Directory
Blocks 2-18 - free space
Blocks 19-161 - files
Blocks 162-560 - free space
Block 561 - Metadata
Blocks 562-1011 - MFT zone
Blocks 1011-1800 - free space
Blocks 1801-1802 - Metadata

It seems a waste to have such a large partition for only about 20GB of files. Can anyone suggest how I can reduce the partition?

Mike
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what size the partition is, but ISTR there is a limit to how far you can resize an NTFS partition in one step. If the size you are offered is around half the original size, accept the resize, then reboot, defrag, rinse and repeat.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth trying Partition Magic which comes as a Live CD with a wide range of tools.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to disable the virtual memory in windows, when I had it, before defragging as well. That would sometimes allow a greater shrinkage of the windows partition.

Remember to enable it again after doing this, or you may find your windows running more slowly.
mikejd
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz: the original Windows partition is the full disc - 465GB. Can I just resize the partition using the SUSE installer, then exit and go back to Windows to defrag and resize again?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, although you may have to do this more than once to get the size you want.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: