Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for used PC to load Linux on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deaf Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Looking for used PC to load Linux on Reply with quote

I am migrating from MVS/CICS/COBOL (many a year of this) to Unix, Citrix, and servers.

Most of what I am doing is self taught.
Well I used to have a linux PC long long time ago and to get my UNIX skills back I want to make another one.

But I sure don't want to spend $$ on a new pc, nor duel boot from my home one. So...

If was to look at pawn shops for an older PC to make a stand alone Linux system, what would be a good one to use. I have Ubuntu 6.10 DVD disk and I'm ready to roll.

Thanks!
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use Ubuntu 6.10 - 11.4 is just out!

Apart from pawn shops, you can sometimes find second hand PCs in games shops after their owners have upgraded - also search your local rag's small adds.

You are very much on your own in one sense because you won't know the history of the machine but Linux can deal with most hardware these days.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play around with servery Linux stuff, and you have a reasonably powerful PC already, it is easier to use VirtualBox on Windows to run Linux in a virtual machine. Not only does it avoid dual booting or the hassles of secondhand hardware, but you can try out several distros. But don't make Ubuntu 6.10 one of them, it will well past its EOL.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used PC to load Linux on Reply with quote

Deaf Smith wrote:
I have Ubuntu 6.10 DVD disk and I'm ready to roll.

Thanks!
You won't roll far on that version, I would suggest getting Ubuntu 10.04 and try it in any potential machine; as has been already said there are probably better ways of buying than from a pawn shop... small ads or a local computer shop will have an older machine pretty cheap but do make sure it works with the live disk before you part with cash Wink
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always ask on freecycle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: