Hard Disc Clone

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Hard Disc Clone

Postby jobex » Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 am

I wish to transfer my XP installation from my old computer to my new one before installing Linux. There is plenty of software to do this and the cloning process is not difficult. However, the clone of XP when installed will not run. From looking on the Web this seems to be a common problem but I have not been able to find a definitive answer to it. One suggestion, which seems hopeful, is to use the XP install disc to reset XP for the parameters of the new machine. The trouble is that I have mislaid, possibly junked, my XP disc. Is there another way around the problem?
jobex

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 am

How have you installed the 'clone'?

If you use something like clonezilla and do a disk to disk it should be fine.

What is 'not run'? Does it not boot up at all (in which case you need to fix boot loader - installing linux should do this) or does it boot but give a load of registration/serial numbers/ new hardware errors?

if its those then as far as I will know you will have to plead with ms that you have stuck it in a new computer and don't use the old one any more
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Moved to Other OS as this is a Windows question.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby johnhudson » Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Another option is that you have not copied over the MBR. The cloning software needs to have copied the whole of the hard drive, not just the partition minus the MBR.

The MS install disk contains a program to re-install the MBR. So that may, or may not, be all that you need.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby jobex » Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for a very quick response from BobtheBob. It is some weeks since I tried the cloning and I have forgotten the details of what happened. When the clone "didn't work" I did try adding a dual-boot Linux to see if that would sort things out but the XP clone still would not run. I do not remember if Linux booted. I will try again but first I have to do some backing up as I have been using the new machine with Linux alone.
jobex

Postby jobex » Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 am

Nelz, I do not quite accept that this is a Windows question as, for me, it's about cloning and dual booting, and using Linux tools to do the job.. I rarely use Windows and, come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm bothering. Perhaps it's just the challenge!
jobex

Postby jobex » Wed May 18, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for your contribution johnhudson. What I remember from when I tried this I was cloning only the XP partition and, after installing on the new computer, adding Linux for a dual-boot. It may be worth trying to clone the whole of the original disk and then replacing the old Linux install with a newer one. I'll have a go at that when I have time.
jobex

Postby nelz » Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 pm

The question was about cloning a Windows installation, so it's a Windows question. The context may derive from your use of Linux, but it's no more a Linux Question than "I want to go to the newsagents to buy Linux Format but my car won't start - how can I fix it?".
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm

alright nelz, calm down....

jobex Sounds like a plan.
Do a disk to disk clone, then you can use gparted or something to expand or resize any partitions. You can then install a newer linux over the top of the old one.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm

nelz wrote:The question was about cloning a Windows installation, so it's a Windows question. The context may derive from your use of Linux, but it's no more a Linux Question than "I want to go to the newsagents to buy Linux Format but my car won't start - how can I fix it?".

Despite being a long-time subscriber to LXF, I was disgusted that they wouldn't come out and fix my car the other week when the rear brake locked on. Similarly, Green Flag have been no use at all when my copy of LXF has failed to turn up.

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Rhakios wrote:Despite being a long-time subscriber to LXF, I was disgusted that they wouldn't come out and fix my car the other week when the rear brake locked on.

That's because you failed to include the output from Hardinfo with your request for help :P
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

I agree with nelz, there is no mention of dual booting in the opening post.

As for what he wants to he'll be lucky to get Windows to boot up without BSOD due to the likelihood that the chipset don't match and his new system having to many new parts - re-activation will be required.

Which will leave him in the boat as he currently his - no CD to repair the system - this will also need re-activation.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Pleading with MS ?!

Postby Nuke » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Bobthebob1234 wrote :

... you will have to plead with ms that you have stuck it in a new computer and don't use the old one any more

Good luck with that. :?
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Other OS