Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Printing to A4 in Evolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Printing to A4 in Evolution Reply with quote

I had hoped to present a complete answer to this old chestnut. I have repeatedly asked through launchpad over the last couple of years and yesterday on ĘBabyGeekĘ gave a partial answer.
Code:
sudo su    (it will ask you your password)
> echo "a4" >  /etc/papersize
> cat /etc/papersize
It worked first time and when I enter
cat /etc/papersize
I get A4.
So that is progress, of a sort.
Formatting is still for letter so that setting print to 100% means that I lose several records, or parts. Setting it to 80% works quite well.
Of course the text is not centred on the page and there is no left margin so when I punch holes to file the records the punch removes parts of the record (eg the phone number) is removed.
NOT what one would expect from a supposed professional app.
Having to file the records upside down in a folder looks nothing except amateurish.
Can anyone take me any further, please?
Best

David
thenudehamster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this doesn't solve your basic problem of being unable to change the paper size defaults in Evolution, it seems to me that the pragmatic solution to your presentation and filing worries would be to use another application. Unless Evolution has some specific functions that nothing else can do - which seems unlikely, but then, I don't know your exact situation - may I suggest that for practical purposes you change from Evolution to something like Thunderbird for your day-to-day needs, and leave the Evolution problem as an intellectual exercise to be solved at your - or someone's - leisure.
I find Thunderbird to be better for my email than Evolution, and although it does lack some features like the Calendar and task modules, effective add-ons are available.
Why spend ages fretting about a bug that no-one seems able or willing to solve when the practical solution is to avoid the bug in the first place?
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are trying to do.
Print the address book?

ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am missing something here in your question, but when I go to Evolution ->File ->Page setup on my Ubuntu 10.04, the page is set to A4 already.

What does yours say? Perhaps the problem you have is that in spite of apparently being A4 that is set, US Letter formatting still appears from the printer. Or perhaps you are trying each time to set up the paper size from the print dialog, where I accept it is grayed out and can not be changed. However, what I can't change is the margin size on a page, which is set far too small, and I can find nowhere to change that.

It's just as well that I use Thunderbird, I suppose, but it would be good to get this sorted better than it is at present.
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Printing to A4 in Evolution Reply with quote

I guys, thanx for your kind attention.

Hamster, I only use Evo for the contacts, mail is Thunderbird.

Wylie - spot on.

Aj you have set out the problem well.

Just a shame that such a promising app is spoilt because the goddams seem to think that the whole world should use US letter. Quite a lot of people use A4...

Best regards

David
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: