Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sort of help, sort of windows...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Sort of help, sort of windows... Reply with quote

Not entirely sure which category to put this in...

I have 50GB of my 500GB hd given to win7, the rest is running ubuntu 10.10. I have a second 300GB drive.

My 50GB partition has about 15GB left. My Ubuntu 450GB bit has about 290GB left. My 300GB drive has about 190GB left.

I have recently got into gaming on the PC and forked out for a few games - Bioshock 1&2, Batman Arkham Asylum etc... but I'm running out of hd space.

Can I install to my 300GB drive (properties in Ubuntu lists filesystem as MSDOS) or do I need to shift around my partitions?

If the latter, can I do it without damaging my existing setup? If I were to do that, I'd be looking at allocating another 50GB to win7.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought you would be able to stick in the 300gb and it would come up in windows as F: or something then when you install a game it should ask where you want to install to and then just choose the different drive Very Happy
Brian Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, of the second drive is of a partition type that windows understands then it should show up as an additional drive. You can install what you like to that.

Not sure if you would get a performance hit though. If you are using a digital distibution service like Steam you may have to install it again to the 500gb drive.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, with a partition of that size you shouldn't be installing stuff elsewhere, but weeding out the chuff on that disk! Purge unused programs (I said programs, not OS-es, so keep Win-7. For now... Razz Wink) clear out caches, system-restore points you won't need, and all other crap that accumulates in a few hours of Win-OS use...
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 50GB partition is basically just win7 and Bioshock2 (which I'd rather not delete as I'm enjoying it too much). Laughing

The next one to install is Bioshock 1 (which I got later). It is a Steam game.
Brian Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to give your windows partition a bigger share of the drive. I would then move documents to the 300Gb drive, perhaps even my /home drive from the Ubuntu install.

Or do a clear out as mentioned.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided the 300gb drive is not slower i.e. 5000 rpm against 7200 rpm they shouldn't be much if any performance hit.

A lot of dedicated gamers these days use 2 drives OS on one and Games on the other.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: