Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phorneker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

I am looking forward to getting LXF70, which contains two distributions I wish to try out.

I have been using Red Hat/Fedora Core distributions since December 1998 (starting with Red Hat 5.0), and have gotten Fedora Core 3 to run on my Compaq/HP Deskpro EP/SB series machine fairly well.

This machine has a 20GB hard drive, 128MB system RAM, Voodoo 3 video card, a Lite-On DVD-ROM, a HP CD Writer+ 8200, and connected to it are a HP PSC1110, Deskjet 656C, and Epson Stylus Color 660 printers.

I got Fedora Core 3 running well by enabling 32-bit disk access on the hard drive, and by configuring the boot process to run only what I need.

Issues I have with the distros are:

1. Should I try Fedora Core 4 on this machine, or should I use the Debian 3.1 instead?

2. The HPLIP software needed to utilize the PSC1110 is compiled from source, as is the Bluefish HTML editor, Digikam, and Kile (LaTeX editor). Do these distributions provide what I need to successfully compile these packages from source?

3. Since the LXF70 is double-sided, is there going to be a problem reading the DVD?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

1. No. It's not an either/or choice, unless drive space is limited. why not install both and see which you prefer.

2. Yes, but I'd be surprised if they don't supply packages for most, if not all, of what you need.

3. Only if you forget to turn it over Smile
AndyMerrall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

Install Fedora. Anaconda is a graphical installer and more straight forward than the Debian installer. Maybe I'm bias. I started my migration with Fedora Core One. I'm now on Fedora Core Four. I havn't had any problems with Fedora.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

This is Linux, not Windows. You only install once but use it every day. don't base your decision on eye candy in an installer you will only use once.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

I agree with nelz, plus if you wanted a great looking installer I wouldn't choose fedora, as its just plain ugly.....lol

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

Yeah, use the Gentoo one with some funky fonts Very Happy
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian? Reply with quote

To be completely unbiased about it i would have to say -=- go for deb of course Wink (grin)

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: