Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with LXF70 DVD Coverdisc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glen4cindy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Problems with LXF70 DVD Coverdisc Reply with quote

I have been purchasing Linux Format ever since The Ultimate Linux Handbook 2 and have loved it!

This month, I was delighted to find a DOUBLE sided DVD! I have installed Fedora Core 4 and have been using it for a couple of days now without incident. However, I am having a slight problem. I am trying to add applications, and whenever it tries to read from the DVD, I get an error saying that the disc cannot be accessed. I tried to burn a copy of the disc just in case the disc was going bad.

It seems as if a good copy was made, but, I still cannot add more applications, as the disc cannot be read.

I then tried to boot to the DVD and tried to do the media verirication which failed on the original and the copy. It says the disc was created without a checksum. Then, the verification stopped as NA, but, it did not actually try to verify the disc as the check only took like 10 seconds.

Is this a problem with my disc or is it a design defect that was introduced by accident when creating a double-sided disc?

Thanks!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: RE: Problems with LXF70 DVD Coverdisc Reply with quote

The media test does not apply to the DVD, because there is no checksum on the disc. That's why the test only takes a short time, as soon as it sees the checksum is not there, it exits.

What exactly is the error message you see when trying to add applications? does this happen whatever you try to add? If it only happens with the odd packages, I'd suspect an error on the disc. If you have trouble installing anything, a fault disc is unlikely, or you wouldn't have been able to install in the first place.

Some more details would help, like the error messages. Also, do you have more than one CD or DVD drive on this computer?
glen4cindy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am usually known for providing too many details!

The error message is simply a box saying that the disc cannot be read, make sure it is properly inserted and is the correct disc.

I was able to solve the problem by making a set of CD's using the Windows ISO utility on the disc.

I also found out that the disc check did not work after some further reading in the magazine.

Thanks for a great reputation for wonderful magazines and cover discs. I hope this is the first of many double-sided DVD cover discs!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the third! Smile
Steamrunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Fedora Core 4 install problems Reply with quote

Got #70 with the double sided dvd and the Fedora Core 4 would not install from the DVD, or the CD's made from the ISO's. I realized that it was Anaconda having the issue. I did an clean / no error install using the non-graphical installer. Just wanted to save someone else the trouble of having to figure it out. Worked great although I like the Debian 3.1 better.

Thanks for a great magazine.
LXFRulz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora Core 4 install problems Reply with quote

Hey, I'm embarassed to ask, but as i can't find my Magazine, and I want to update to Fedora Core 4 on my home server, can you tell me how to burn the ISO's on the DVD to CD's?
I searched the disk, and found some jigido files, but it doesn't look big enough. and the rpms.
Sorry again, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
________
herbalaire
________
marijuana pictures

Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora Core 4 install problems Reply with quote

Code:
/mnt/cdrom/Distros/FedoraCore/mkiso

will create the ISOs in the current directory. Change /mnt/cdrom if your DVD is mounted elsewhere.

Under Windows, double-click winmkiso and the ISOs will be built in C:\
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: