Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Virtual Machine Solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Best Virtual Machine Solution Reply with quote

Man, I'm getting to be a right PITA on here always asking questions and what not....

OK, just setup a server for work to replace our dieing Windows 2003 server, hard drive failure and its now not sufficient.

I plan on virtualising it, we run vmware in most places on our network but what I don't like about vmware is that on updates you need to re-run vmware-config.pl and to update vmware you also have to download the whole package again and go through the config.

Its not too hard, but it could be easier.

So, I'm wondering what your thoughts were, I looked at xen as I believe this has a lighter footprint on the system resources, there seem to be a few good config tools for it but they are Linux based, the problem I have is that there are only two Linux desktops so being able to restart the Virtual Machines should they crash/hang from some other OS would be better.

Any thoughts?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried VirtualBox? I can't offer much help for your situation, but I've always had great success with VBox in the past.

M
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VirtualBox on my desktop machines but I don't think that has remote management options does it?

Part of the reason is I want something light, I think VirtualBox is as large as vmware.
ollie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeNukes wrote:
I use VirtualBox on my desktop machines but I don't think that has remote management options does it?

Part of the reason is I want something light, I think VirtualBox is as large as vmware.

VirtualBox supports RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol

You may also be interested in Chapter 7. Alternative front-ends; remote virtual machines.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: