Best Virtual Machine Solution

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Best Virtual Machine Solution

Postby LeeNukes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Man, I'm getting to be a right PITA on here always asking questions and what not....

OK, just setup a server for work to replace our dieing Windows 2003 server, hard drive failure and its now not sufficient.

I plan on virtualising it, we run vmware in most places on our network but what I don't like about vmware is that on updates you need to re-run vmware-config.pl and to update vmware you also have to download the whole package again and go through the config.

Its not too hard, but it could be easier.

So, I'm wondering what your thoughts were, I looked at xen as I believe this has a lighter footprint on the system resources, there seem to be a few good config tools for it but they are Linux based, the problem I have is that there are only two Linux desktops so being able to restart the Virtual Machines should they crash/hang from some other OS would be better.

Any thoughts?
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Have you tried VirtualBox? I can't offer much help for your situation, but I've always had great success with VBox in the past.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm

I use VirtualBox on my desktop machines but I don't think that has remote management options does it?

Part of the reason is I want something light, I think VirtualBox is as large as vmware.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:42 am

LeeNukes wrote:I use VirtualBox on my desktop machines but I don't think that has remote management options does it?

Part of the reason is I want something light, I think VirtualBox is as large as vmware.

VirtualBox supports RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol

You may also be interested in Chapter 7. Alternative front-ends; remote virtual machines.
ollie

Return to Discussion