Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Device drivers and approaching a manufacturer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceyhase
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Device drivers and approaching a manufacturer. Reply with quote

I wrote one. Well, kind of? I thought I'd have a play around and using Essential Linux Device Drivers as a reference (I admit to only flicking through it; it's a tough read!), along with kernel source, I've got something that works.

But like I said, "kind of". It is nice and stable, picks up the device, disconnects properly (etc) but it doesn't show me anything useful. It does, however, read... something but I'm not entirely sure what. I've had a play with the code and I've come to the conclusion it is reading some encoded information in a single 8 byte block (see, I figured it was a double but no, that doesn't work either).

So now I want to approach the manufacturer. Has anyone 'ere done the same? Would they may take my hardware probing as something illegal? How best to word a letter/email to them asking for hardware information? And while Linux support for the device isn't going to set the world alight, just idle curiosity on my part, I'd like to show willing and finish it off... kudos for the manufacturer if they help?

Advice welcome!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the FSF guys. They've done that a couple'times before Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth asking on the LKML too, people like Grehg K-H have some experience with this.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Kroah-Hartman is the kernel guy responsible for device drivers. Approach him.
spaceyhase
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, will do. I need a minor for my driver Wink </rhyme>. FSF site is interesting too, there's a lot of stuff there I'd be willing to contribute to. Consider it done!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: