Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Fedora 12 route, probably tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentient_one
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks, indeed, the number they have quoted is for sha 256 not sha1 and my iso is sound (maybe a bad disk was to blame for the previous trouble). Have checked and burned it and i'm now using it. Can play online radio from rhytymbox, so i guess sound is OK and wired internet obviously. Probably worth an install proper.
ttfn
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spot Marty Bartfast.

I'm actually quite liking the implementation of PulseAudio in Fedora 12. I never used it in Fedora 10 and was unsure if I'd actually use the ability to raise and lower application volume but I've used it a couple of times now, mainly when playing Audio in Wine and I don't want to quit the application, I can lower the Wine volume whilst listening to YouTube or whatever in native Linux.
sentient_one
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst i really sort of like fedora and my graphics card is handled in initial generic way, attempts to install the proprietary 3d driver

sh . . . fgrlx . . . run

all looks great but on reboot -
plunged into darkness

And googling seems to suggest there are plenty who don't accomplish proprietary video driver install

Now for all that work the developers put in seems a bit silly that the project is scuppered through lack of support in this area
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped buying ATI GFX cards due to the issues I always had installing the drivers. Can't really help with this one I'm afraid as my PC doesn't have an AGP slot and the only ATI card I have is AGP.

With regards to me installing Fedora 12, I've recently bought a 500GB external Hard Drive so future upgrades should be MUCH easier and quicker.
sentient_one
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ati radeon card is fine under windows and most linux distros, hence the simplest answer would probably be to give fedora a miss this time round (u didn't exactly find installing the nvidia drivers a breeze for that matter)

If u mean a usb external hard drive, that is what I use now. Most distros will treat it like an internal hd and u can install grub on its mbr and boot from there.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentient_one wrote:

If u mean a usb external hard drive, that is what I use now. Most distros will treat it like an internal hd and u can install grub on its mbr and boot from there.

Yes, its a Seagate External Drive. Nice black box. Turns off when not mounted etc.

I don't think I'd use it to boot from though. I know its possible, I'd just rather not.

The Nvidia driver issue is more likely due to me using the one from their website before its ready to be installed against Fedora 12.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: