Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF124 Power up Linux Ubuntu Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcayea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: LXF124 Power up Linux Ubuntu Problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As I read and try the power up linux tips from the LXF124 issue, and I go to try them in my Ubuntu 9.10 64 Bit computer, it seems that Ubuntu has a different setup than what the magazine suggests I am able to do.

For example, on page 41 it says to try the following with root privileges, /boot/grub/menu.1st. OK I tried that to speedup boot time which is the tip suggested, and Ubuntu doesn't seem to have that file any more. What to do?

Also, to speed up boot time I tried with sudo, "/etc/init.d/rc" so I could run boot boot processes in parallel and that doesn't seem to exist either.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Randy
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu 9.10 as moved to using grub2 which uses grub.cfg WHICH SHOULD NOT MANUALLY EDITED. This is totally different from the previous grub which used menu.lst.

I believe 9.10 as also moved away from using init scripts.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
rcayea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, if Ubuntu has changed so much here is my thought(s)...

I bought the magazine (from newsstand) thinking I could take advantage of the tips/suggestions.

I have been reading LXF for about a year not and I know Ubuntu gets creamed for getting so much press in LXF, but being the most popular distro, does LinuxFormat have any intention of posting how to use these tips for the new Ubuntu? I would like to get my 18 dollars (Live in DC, USA area) worth from the magazine.

Thanks,
Randy
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ubuntu 9.10 was actually released after the magazine went to print, that is a little unfair.
Lead times on articles mean that the latest "cutting edge" release will not be covered immediately, and as most Ubuntu users are on 9.04 or earlier, it would not be appropriate either.

rcayea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfair, maybe. I give you that.

However, if you are going to say that most Ubuntu users are using 9.04 or earlier you probably should post the concrete data you are making such a conclusion from. Besides, I am only guessing here, but LXF probably fiddled with the release candidates and the beta released. I do believe they put a beta release or something on one of their earlier magazine disks. So, they might have seen the changes for 9.10. That is just a guess and I will now stop guessing.

In my effort to reword my previous post, I simply would like to take advantage of the tips provided by LXF. I should ask nicely, could you (LXF) maybe post a 9.10 version of a couple of your tips?
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am really hoping Paul will consider including an in-depth article about grub2 in the near future. As far as I am concerned, this is a whole new ball game and I would appreciate some expert advice. Confused
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcayea wrote:
Unfair, maybe. I give you that.

However, if you are going to say that most Ubuntu users are using 9.04 or earlier you probably should post the concrete data you are making such a conclusion from. Besides, I am only guessing here,

We are both guessing, maybe I should have put a "probably" in there.
Some people move to the latest release straight away, others wait for the dust to settle and the cries of pain to fade, and yet others are still asking questions on the Ubuntu forums about 6.04.

It could also be the case that the changes (improvements?) to grub have made the tips obsolete.

Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

It could also be the case that the changes (improvements?) to grub have made the tips obsolete.

For grub that would not be the case as the default setting for the grub menu is 10 seconds.

I believe that Start up Manager works with GRUB2 and it is possible to set the menu to 1 second.

As for the init scripts I believe that 9.10 new approach is faster, so wyliecoyoteuk is right in that the tips would now be obsolete.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
rcayea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for not turning this into a he said/she said kind of thing or an argument.

So lets just hope we get some good advice from the fellows at LXF.

Thanks,
Randy
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

For grub that would not be the case as the default setting for the grub menu is 10 seconds.

I believe that Start up Manager works with GRUB2 and it is possible to set the menu to 1 second.

As for the init scripts I believe that 9.10 new approach is faster, so wyliecoyoteuk is right in that the tips would now be obsolete.

Yes, a few of the things that startup manager does still work with grub2, but most tweaks that were possible are no longer possible with SUM. So far I have not got to grips with grub2 and don't use it. I have ubuntu 9.10 on a testing partition and installed grub to it's own disk instead of my main (ubuntu 9.04) OS disk's MBR. I then simply added 9.10 to the menu.lst of 9.04 and use grub from that OS.

No doubt grub2 will eventually become second nature to me as is legacy grub, but it is much more difficult to configure if you have two disks and 4 OSs, as I have, and don't want the grubmenu to be as long as a novel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: