Fedora 4 now that's nice!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby RD » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Marrea wrote:
RD wrote:>>Then if you want DVDs to autoplay in xine when you insert them, go to Desktop > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media, select the Multimedia tab, check the box beside "Play video DVD disks when inserted", delete totem dvd:// and type in xine dvd:// (without the underlinings which appear here)

You should not need to do that :? libdvdcss is for decrypting the encryption keys with some dvd films. the last time i played with RH os all you needed to do to watch dvds was simply install libdvdcss and bingo start xine enjoy :D of course it helps with mplayer installed (or just the dep's ie transcode, mencoder etc) now a days i simply apt-get install libdvdcss && mplayer and jobs done :D

Hi RD

The way my FC4 was set up by default was to have the "Play video DVD disks when inserted" (in Preferences) unchecked, so when I put a DVD in the drive it prevented it from autoplaying. I had to manually open up xine and then click on the DVD button to get it to play. I went into Preferences and checked the box - which, as totem was already entered, meant that program would automatically play DVDs, which I didn't want, so I substituted xine for totem.

That's what I was referring to above - setting up DVDs to autoplay in your favourite program, which is a separate issue from libdvdcss. :D

Cheers
Marrea

err oops sorry :D
RD
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:26 pm

RD wrote:
err oops sorry :D

No need whatsoever for apologies :wink:

Cheers
Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:53 pm

eastcoastdrifter wrote:The only downside (there had to be one) sound has disappeared on Fedora (and it isn't the settings in the BIOS this time). But don't worry - as if :D I'll try and sort it out.

Hi eastcoastdrifter

Glad you got xine sorted.

I'm not very good with computer sound, I'm afraid (apart from that one occasion when I was able to help you because by a strange coincidence I'd had the same problem and by some fluke found the answer !). Don't even understand it in Windows. I tend to use a conventional hi-fi for listening to music rather than the computer !!

Are you missing sound generally, ie even in xine (can't be much fun watching DVDs with no audio)? Or is it just in audio specific applications?

Hopefully someone else might be able to give you a steer on this.

You've done the hardest part. Have an extra ginger biscuit with your cup o' char tonight...on me :D

I will indeed, thanks. I'll send you the bill.

I can just about string both parts of my name together

But doesn't "east", "coast" and "drifter" equal three parts of a name? :D

Cheers
Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:00 pm

Marrea,
Good news, sound is there. It said something about no card identified, I usually rely on the on-board stuff, even in Windows, it does all I want. However, the precious baby that Linux is...if that's what it wants...that's what it can have. Popped one in and wahey, AC/DC 'It's A Long Way To The Top (if you wanna rock 'n' roll) VERY robust.

I think (IMHO) the sound via Linux does sound better than Windows, don't know why, but there you go.

So, all in all a good start to a couple of weeks holiday.
And, I only said you could have an extra ginger biscuit...don't you go going to one of those twee Chiltern Scone & T-Shop's! I don't want an astronomical bill ariving at Chez Robinson, thank you very much :?

See you all in a couple of weeks.

Kind regards, Pete :P :o :lol: :D :wink:
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion