Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmm, not again... :/
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Hmmm, not again... :/ Reply with quote

Hi all...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/companies/29name.html?hpw

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because I'm sure businesses will be massively confused and stop buying $2,000 inventory management devices and instead buy home internet surfing gadgets instead.

Ain't gonna work, Fujitsu.

Meanwhile, what does everyone make of the iPad? Closedness and lack of free software aside, I think Apple is onto something here. Many folks will bemoan that it's essentially a big iPod Touch, but that's what a lot of people need. A simple, portable internet device that also plays (and downloads) music and films. For a pretty good price.

I think this is perfect for my (totally non-techie) parents. They shouldn't need to concern themselves with concepts like pop-under windows and maximise buttons and whether a 'thing' on the desktop is a launcher or a data file etc. Here's just a button that gives them the internet to manipulate with hands. Here's another button for your music. Simple.

Of course, it'd be even better if the free software world came up with a device like this! That Freescale concept + Ubuntu Netbook Remix = getting pretty close!

M
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike...

This may answer a few questions...

http://it.tmcnet.com/news/2010/01/27/4594275.htm

And if you get real pi$$ed of with the Apple Hype Jobs,
(no pun intended)...

http://www.urban75.com/Punch/jobs.html

:DD

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so this is an iPad thread? Couldn't tell from the title Rolling Eyes

Well, I'd like to thank Apple for releasing the iPad as is, because now I have no excuse to spend any money on one.
I think it ought to be renamed the FatPod Touch, as it's really just a fat iPod Touch. It offers no expandability, poor data storage for the base model and I have elsewhere that the 3G models won't take a standard SIM (requires an ultra-thin SIM?), so you can't just take the one out of USB stick and put it in to get connectivity.
No mass storage mode? They have effectively made it difficult to get data onto the device without using iTunes or downloading from the web. The MacFormat forums often feature questions from users who want to get data from their computers onto their iPod Touch or iPhone, but find they can't just drag-n-drop it as one might expect. It looks like this device will be the same. Shame.

Other aspects of the device seem quite good: we all know Apple can do multi-touch quite well, so that will probably be fine. The size and screen resolution look to be a fair match, so content will be readable. The use of an embedded, as opposed to full, type of OS is a good move, the device should be snappy in use and the battery life will probably be close to that advertised. It's slim and light and visually appealing.

It remains to be seen whether users will buy it in great numbers, but I hope it will provoke someone to make a Linux based device better than the current batch of webpads (which don't seem to be available in the UK anyway).
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in Australia people have been querying the screen not being HD. Why produce something in a XGA format? Surely WUXGA (1920 x 1200) would be the default for watching movies in High Definition? Why would anyone be even be remotely interested in a 16GB SSD? I have have a 32GB SD-HC card in my DSLR and this only gives me 1300 photos. Where is the stylus for "writing" directly into applications.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
Why would anyone be even be remotely interested in a 16GB SSD?

Well, for my parents it's not an issue -- they just need a simple internet browsing machine without all the complexities of normal computing.

For me it's not an issue: I have about 7GB of music and don't have any movies in electronic format.

So that's a target user and a geek covered -- pretty good going I reckon Smile Of course there is the 64GB model for those who have lots of media. As for the 1024x768 screen, no doubt Apple looked at bigger/brighter but wanted to keep the price down, and for the target (casual) user it's more than fine I think.

M
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Well, for my parents it's not an issue -- they just need a simple internet browsing machine without all the complexities of normal computing.

For me it's not an issue: I have about 7GB of music and don't have any movies in electronic format.

M

But surely if the iPad becomes your portable device you will want to put all of your music, which will increase rapidly from 7GB with all of the album art and lyrics when new songs are released, and then start using it for books and movies when you travel. Most teenagers that I know have 15GB+ music files and want to add their movies (even in ripped format @ 700MB each) to their iPod Touch or iPhone but the storage isn't big enough (or the format isn't supported Wink )

There isn't anyway to expand the data storage, surely a SD-HC card slot would make sense for something like this?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
No mass storage mode?

Apparently there is:

"File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory."

Well, you won't be able to mess around with any system files, but that's a really good thing. Stops people like my folks from accidentally deleting something important Smile Locked down works well for this type of device. We geeks already have plenty of open platforms to hack around with!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
But surely if the iPad becomes your portable device you will want to put all of your music, which will increase rapidly from 7GB with all of the album art and lyrics when new songs are released, and then start using it for books and movies when you travel.

Absolutely -- that's why there are different versions. If I one day decide to buy an iPad, and I can see myself wanting to have lots of media on the go, I'll buy one of the bigger ones. If I'm mainly focused on internet usage and a few apps then I'll go for the 16GBer.

Like you say though, some form of built-in expandability would've been good. I'm sure an SD card slot could've been added without affecting the slimness and design. There's even Micro SD! iPad rev B anyone? Smile

M
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
So, you don't do dvd's? As the chief LXF dvd-baker, that's hardly credible Mike Rolling Eyes Razz

Mr. Green
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Hitler doesn't like it.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic now has to be closed as you have invoked Godwin's Law.
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

And 1sf (troll) in totally innocent of all charges, I`m shocked... :O

Whatever will happen next?

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1sf (troll) is never innocent! Guilty as charged, whatever the charge Evil or Very Mad

Mr. Green
CJLL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
like you say though, some form of built-in expandability would've been good. I'm sure an SD card slot could've been added without affecting the slimness and design. There's even Micro SD! iPad rev B anyone? Smile

M

What and kill Steve Job's second income from charging a small fortune for iTunes content? Rolling Eyes

Time for Micro$oft to hand over their crown ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: