LXF 72

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 72

Postby Ricey » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Got my latest edition yesterday, another fine job :)

Am definately gonna try InitNG, Halving the boot time, thats for me!!!

And QT4 looks interesting, will have read it cover to cover before the days out!

Thanks again,

Dave

:lol:
Ricey

RE: LXF 72

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:12 pm

How early to you get the latest mag if you are subscription? I feel left out :(
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby overflow » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:27 pm

I must have had mine nearly a week already.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:30 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww, is there any karoshi in it?
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:33 pm

I had mine delivered on Friday too
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:30 pm

I got mine on Thursday 15th.

Any other magazine I have had on subscription has usually arrived at least two or three days after I have seen copies on the newsagents shelves, so to get LXF roughly a week early is fantastic and is one reason why I shall continue subscribing. :D

My husband spent some considerable time on Friday afternoon fitting a larger letter box to our front door because the original one was too small to take the mag with its accompanying cardboard and I had to keep making trips to the post office to collect it. I thought I'd really wind him up by announcing "oh, didn't I tell you? I'm not going to get that magazine any more" :D :D - but thought better of it. I didn't fancy getting whacked over the head with the old letter box.
Last edited by Marrea on Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:54 pm

Marrea wrote:My husband spent some considerable time on Friday afternoon fitting a larger letter box to our front door because the original one was too small to take the mag with its accompanying cardboard

I did this five or six years ago, but some posties still insist on trying to fold anything and everything before jamming it through the letter box :x

Needless to say, they always come after I have left for work, or I might have a word... or two.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby tealc » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:06 pm

:x No mag. yet !!! One of the reasons I subscribed was because I thought that I would get them early !
tealc

Postby Nigel » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:10 pm

tealc wrote::x No mag. yet !!! One of the reasons I subscribed was because I thought that I would get them early !

Is it the first one of your subscription ?
In my experience, the first issue of any mag subscription always seems to turn up late, but after that you get them around a week before they appear in the shops.

If it doesn't arrive in a couple of days, give the subs department a call. They usually sort things out pretty quickly.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby tealc » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:59 am

Nigel, No it isn't my first issue, unfortunately I didn't subscribe through LXF but with "myfavouritemagazines.co.uk" who don't really seem to have their act together, their entire database was down a whole week when I first subscribed there !
tealc

Postby nelz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:26 pm

tealc wrote::x No mag. yet !!!

The post to Chulak can be quite slow at this time of year :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby tealc » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:14 pm

I have moved from Chulak to to Atlantis so the mail is even later here :lol: I got issuse 72 today, that's nearly a week an half after some people ! I doubt that there is much I can do about that.
tealc

Postby kevanf1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:28 pm

Try subscribing to Fortean Times.. sometimes it just does not arrive at all :( or the milkman brings it (I kid you not).
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby PerlBoy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:02 pm

Congratulations on getting better. Each month it is a superb read.
InitNG is a wonderful find.
Rise&Fall was good and Meeks interview excellent.
Roundup is worth the coverprice alone (although did prefer the style of the previous file managers one for some reason).
Emacs tutorial is sometimes hard work, but worth the effort.
Brilliant Perl tutorial as always
Complaints - In the whole magazine I have only three.
Bad cover this month. Took me far too long to see that it was a tobogan and not a rocket going the other way.
What happened to the UKUUG conference? Did anyone actually go? Yes I am sure expenses to USA justifies lots of copy, but what happened at Swansea? We get told where it was, that there was a lot of chat (twice) and it was a success. Why? Any photos apart from the beach?
Drop the "Nick says.." boxes. They are annoying! Enough for me to not resubscribe which would be a disaster for me. Does he really feel so insecure in his job that he has to add quotes to be seen doing something. Opening column good - Nick Says Very VERY bad.
PerlBoy

Postby Rhakios » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:47 pm

To be fair to Nick (for a change), it isn't simply "Nick says...", opinions by a variety of regular contributors are given. So, on page 29 of the latest issue we have "Paul says..." about QT4, and again on page 58 about launching KDE apps, then "Graham says..." on page 61, etc.. However I would agree that they are largely superfluous, often simply emphasising a point made in the article.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs