Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3

Postby LeeNukes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Anyone tried this? Essentially the reason I ask is that due to some strange issues, its getting likely I will need to reinstall a friends copy of Ubuntu on his machine, now I'd rather install 10.04 if its stable enough and allow the updates to just move him up to the latest stable release.

Anyone noticed any oddities?
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:49 pm

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/alp ... n%20issues says there are a couple, however I have not personally used it yet.

Can't it wait until 29th April?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm

One of my colleagues just posted this on twitter
Upgraded my acer aspire one to lucid lynx alpha 3 and it was problem free. Not many major differences.
ymmv
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3

Postby RedWillow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm

LeeNukes wrote:Anyone tried this?

On three machines. Generally positive experience.

Machine 1 - Laptop with Intel graphics - largely problem free.

Machine 2 - Laptop with ATI graphics. I can get compiz with the open source driver - wobbly windows, cube, the lot. Weeeeee!

Machine 3 - Desktop with Nvidia graphics. Bootup is a mess (seems that Plymouth reacts differently depending on your graphics driver), and the latest proprietary nvidia driver causes the whole system to lock up. Or rather it causes my system to lock up - others seem to find the latest driver unproblematic. I suppose it depends on your particular graphics chipset. I'm using the 173 driver atm.

I'm finding firefox a bit stuttery on the nvidia system (posting from there now), but not on the other two, but I haven't come across any showstoppers yet.

The new colour scheme: The new "light" themes have appeared and the big news is that BROWN IS OUT. \o/\o/\o/ Instead you have an interesting combination of orange, purple and a sort of beigy-grey. It looks better than it sounds. Also a see-through purple terminal and, believe me, I don't know how I've managed to cope without a see-through purple terminal all these years. But as it's also see-through with the open source ATI driver, I'm not complaining!

Oh, and window buttons on the left but, considering the howls of rage emanating from Ubuntuforums, this may yet change.

Edit - Just to prove I'm not inhaling something, one see-through purple terminal (complete with buttons over there on the left):

RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/alpha3#Known%20issues says there are a couple, however I have not personally used it yet.

Can't it wait until 29th April?

Not really, my main reason for going is to fix the fact he can't get his wireless to work. Had resorted to getting him to buy a wireless card from Linux Emporium after spending hours on the other one with a weak signal (which was documentated in several bugs). Once that was installed the signal was nice and strong, but he is having several problems where its now just not connecting.

I suspect he is doing something wrong as previously he was putting the encryption key into the SSID box :S

A reinstall would bring him upto an LTS package and should reassure me that everything is clean again. This has been upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 and possibly even to 9.10 now.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby x95tobos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm

My experience with Intrepid (and Jaunty and Karmic are even easier to get wicd) and wireless was that once I installed WiCD and got rid of nm I got my wireless to work with WPK2 (?)- you know, the encryption stuff, whatever... Could you try first to get WiCD and then see if tat solves it (Although I heard nm got better lately- in my case, on Intrepid, the real problem was nm was using some flaky libs- once got those upgraded, it started working too)
x95tobos

Postby LeeNukes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:18 pm

You completely removed NetworkManager and replaced it with WiCD?
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Lucid Alpha3 in dev

Postby Oyster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 am

I've been using Lucid for a week or so now.

Today a patch broke the machine so that a liveCD was required to rectify.

I wouldn't be installing an anyone else's machine just yet. We're still under development.

There are a few other issues I have noticed e.g. not being able to use a particular online banking site with Firefox, but I have reported the bug and expect they will be rectified before the release date.
Oyster

Postby m0dcm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:50 am

Hi,
I've only been running Linux for just over 6 weeks now, and I opted for Ubuntu 9.10. My machine is the Acer Aspire One ZA3 aka AO751h.
I know I had problems with the Intel GMA500 (Still can't play full screen video) and the sound, but I fixed this after scouring the Ubuntu Wiki. My question is, have they added support for the Intel GMA500 in 10.04?

One thing is for sure, I will not be going back to Microsoft!!

Dave
m0dcm

Postby RedWillow » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 am

m0dcm wrote:My question is, have they added support for the Intel GMA500 in 10.04?

I found this thread on Ubuntuforums. The news doesn't look good, I'm afraid.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby shinso » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:07 am

I tried upgrading my Ubuntu 9.10 VM at work. Funnily enough the filter caught it upgrading "libsexy" (and a few others with similarly dubious names) and blocked it! Thank God for snapshots ;)
shinso

Postby m0dcm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 pm

RedWillow wrote:
m0dcm wrote:My question is, have they added support for the Intel GMA500 in 10.04?

I found this thread on Ubuntuforums. The news doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

Cheers for the info. Looks like I'll have to stick with Karmic for a while longer on the Netbook, and upgrade to 10.04 on the Server.
There's more Netbooks now being used with the Intel GMA500 chipsets, so something needs to be done, else whats the use?

I was thinking of using another distro of Linux, but it seems I'll have the same problem.

Dave
m0dcm

Postby m0dcm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey Guys,
Well, I know I've posted a couple of times now about the Intel GMA500, but I've just come across this bit of news about the graphics accelerator that was posted March 9th - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=ODA1Mw

All I can say is, at least we'll have some sort of support!!

Dave
m0dcm

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:40 pm

That page doesn't mention the GMA500. It's about the xf86-video-intel driver, which is for the GMA[89]* chips. The GMA500 uses the pouslbo driver, which isn't part of XOrg.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby gn2 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am

LeeNukes wrote:You completely removed NetworkManager and replaced it with WiCD?

When you install WICD from a .deb it prompts you to remove NM.
I've used WICD in the past as a NM replacement in Ubuntu and it worked perfectly.
You can either install WICD from .deb or add their repo.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wicd/files/wicd-stable/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD
gn2
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion