Jeez, this is exciting reading...

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/cu ... multipage/

About as exciting as watching paint dry... ;o|

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby kneekoo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm

HTML 5 might be mature enough but browsers aren't, and by this I mean the dreadful Internet Explorer in its various versions that are still a major part of today's internet experience. IE9 is on its way but without XP support so A LOT of people will lag behind for at least 2-3 more years and this also assuming IE9 and IE10 would play nice with HTML 5.

Chrome is also not yet mature in many aspects and that only leaves us with Firefox and Opera, which altogether don't sum up at least 50% of total internet users. What happens to the other people? Where's the benefit for the HTML 5 site owners? It's annoying the same company that pushed technology forward is now making too little to keep up with web technologies or don't move away from this path.
kneekoo

Postby johnhudson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I think you will see HTML5 on mobiles and similar devices first and, since there isn't an IE option, anyone who wants people to access their sites from a mobile will have to fall in line.
johnhudson
LXF regular

thread resurrection

Postby leke » Sun May 23, 2010 6:15 pm

The main browsers have quite good support now for HTML5. I've started to play with it already...
http://rebol.vlexo.net/Other/html5/html5_audio_test.htm
leke
LXF regular

Postby leke » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 pm

nice info graph about HTML5.
http://www.focus.com/images/view/11905/
LOL@IE
leke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks. very helpful.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 am

Seems HTML5 isn't the great panacea for all web ills. Apple have managed to produce an HTML5 demo that only works on Safari.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04 ... case_hype/

So there is every chance that HTML5 could drag us back to the bad old days of browser specific web pages :-(
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Most of the demo works in chromium. But the effects shown are mostly hardly any different from what KDE has been doing on the desktop - doing them in a browser may be new but it's not terribly earth-shattering.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:08 pm

johnhudson wrote:Most of the demo works in chromium. But the effects shown are mostly hardly any different from what KDE has been doing on the desktop - doing them in a browser may be new but it's not terribly earth-shattering.

Couldn't get the apple demos to work with my chromium.... :(
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:44 am

I'm using chromium 6.0.245 from the openSUSE repositories which seems to get fairly regular updates.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am

Chrome on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 won't play - just the Apple "error" message indicating that their web designers can't code to open standards.

They use Javascript to detect OS & browser:
Code: Select all
<script src="http://images.apple.com/global/scripts/browserdetect.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which generates the error message for all browsers except Safari. :wink: :roll:

The Javascript is:
Code: Select all
if(typeof(AC)==="undefined"){AC={}}AC.Detector={getAgent:function(){return navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase()
},isMac:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/mac/i)},isSnowLeopard:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/mac os x 10_6/i)},isWin:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/win/i)},isWin2k:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isWin(a)&&(a.match(/nt\s*5/i))
},isWinVista:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isWin(a)&&(a.match(/nt\s*6/i))
},isWebKit:function(b){if(this._isWebKit===undefined){var a=b||this.getAgent();
this._isWebKit=!!a.match(/AppleWebKit/i);this.isWebKit=function(){return this._isWebKit
}}return this._isWebKit},isSafari2:function(c){if(this._isSafari2===undefined){if(!this.isWebKit()){this._isSafari2=false
}else{var b=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();var a=parseInt(parseFloat(b.substring(b.lastIndexOf("safari/")+7)),10);
this._isSafari2=(a>=419)}this.isSafari2=function(){return this._isSafari2}}return this._isSafari2
},isChrome:function(b){if(this._isChrome===undefined){var a=b||this.getAgent();
this._isChrome=!!a.match(/Chrome/i);this.isChrome=function(){return this._isChrome
}}return this._isChrome},isOpera:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/opera/i)
},isIE:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return !!a.match(/msie/i)},isIEStrict:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return a.match(/msie/i)&&!this.isOpera(a)},isIE8:function(c){var b=c||this.getAgent();
var a=b.match(/msie\D*([\.\d]*)/i);if(a&&a[1]){version=a[1]}return +version>=8},isFirefox:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!a.match(/firefox/i)},isiPhone:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();return this.isMobile(a)
},iPhoneOSVersion:function(d){var c=d||this.getAgent(),a=this.isMobile(c),e,f,b;
if(a){var e=c.match(/.*CPU ([\w|\s]+) like/i);if(e&&e[1]){f=e[1].split(" ");b=f[2].split("_");
return b}else{return[1]}}else{return null}},isiPad:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return !!(this.isWebKit(a)&&a.match(/ipad/i))},isMobile:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return this.isWebKit(a)&&(a.match(/Mobile/i)&&!this.isiPad(a))},isiTunesOK:function(b){var a=b||this.getAgent();
return this.isMac(a)||this.isWin2k(a)},_isQTInstalled:undefined,isQTInstalled:function(){if(this._isQTInstalled===undefined){var a=false;
if(navigator.plugins&&navigator.plugins.length){for(var b=0;b<navigator.plugins.length;
b++){var c=navigator.plugins[b];if(c.name.indexOf("QuickTime")>-1){a=true}}}else{if(typeof(execScript)!="undefined"){qtObj=false;
execScript('on error resume next: qtObj = IsObject(CreateObject("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck.1"))',"VBScript");
a=qtObj}}this._isQTInstalled=a}return this._isQTInstalled},getQTVersion:function(){var a="0";
if(navigator.plugins&&navigator.plugins.length){for(var c=0;c<navigator.plugins.length;
c++){var d=navigator.plugins[c];var b=d.name.match(/quicktime\D*([\.\d]*)/i);if(b&&b[1]){a=b[1]
}}}else{if(typeof(execScript)!="undefined"){ieQTVersion=null;execScript('on error resume next: ieQTVersion = CreateObject("QuickTimeCheckObject.QuickTimeCheck.1").QuickTimeVersion',"VBScript");
if(ieQTVersion){a=ieQTVersion.toString(16);a=[a.charAt(0),a.charAt(1),a.charAt(2)].join(".")
}}}return a},isQTCompatible:function(c,e){function b(g,i){var f=parseInt(g[0],10);
if(isNaN(f)){f=0}var h=parseInt(i[0],10);if(isNaN(h)){h=0}if(f===h){if(g.length>1){return b(g.slice(1),i.slice(1))
}else{return true}}else{if(f<h){return true}else{return false}}}var d=c.split(/\./);
var a=e?e.split(/\./):this.getQTVersion().split(/\./);return b(d,a)},isValidQTAvailable:function(a){return this.isQTInstalled()&&this.isQTCompatible(a)
},isSBVDPAvailable:function(a){return false}};

A good example of how to not play nice :evil:
ollie

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am

Mozilla man praises Microsoft and bitchslaps Apple and Google over HTML5 standards.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/09 ... and_html5/

What a perverse world we live in today. Lib-Dems in government and Chris Blizzard praising Microsoft's adherence to standards.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 am

LOL thats a funny read.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 pm

So now I'm using chromium to look at the Developers' site which is accessed via the link on the bottom right hand side of the showcase.

The video demo freezes; the typography displays works perfectly; the web gallery took a while to load but it is now working perfectly; the photo transitions are working perfectly; I can't get any sound from the audio demo; the 360 degree one works; the VR is the only one to put up a message about needed Safari for 3D; the pixel manipulation worked as expected but I couldn't use the export option because of limitations in chromium (or my lack of knowledge about it); the sticky notes also took a while to load but it's no different from KNotes which I have been using for years; concert poster displayed but I couldn't see what else it was supposed to do; checkers opened but I couldn't work out how to get it to play; light table appeared and did its stuff; calender also displayed but I wasn't sure whether there was anything else I was supposed to do with it other than scrolling through months; the movie trailers apparently did what they were supposed to.

So eight of the fourteen demos worked in chromium; two half worked; three froze and I got a warning about one.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 pm

kneekoo wrote:IE9 is on its way but without XP support so A LOT of people will lag behind for at least 2-3 more years and this also assuming IE9 and IE10 would play nice with HTML 5.

Chrome is also not yet mature in many aspects and that only leaves us with Firefox and Opera, which altogether don't sum up at least 50% of total internet users. What happens to the other people? Where's the benefit for the HTML 5 site owners?

XP users are already abandoning IE6/7/8 in droves for more modern browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Expect this to continue unabated.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Next

Return to Programming