Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asus M4A78L-M LE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Asus M4A78L-M LE Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this MB? I need to replace a dead Biostar board, and this one fits the specs fairly well, and comes in at a good price. The one thing I don't know about is the onboard NIC. Asus specify it as a 'Gb Atheros PCIe LAN', but don't specify the chipet used for the NIC.

I've used Atheros wireless NICs under Linux, but I know nothing at all about Atheros wired stuff. Is there support for it under Linux? Anyone know?

Anyone used one of these?

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heronfisher wrote:
AMD 760G Chipset, Micro ATX, Socket A, FSB: 2600 MHz, Max RAM: 8 GB, DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) x 1, Serial ATA II x 1, ATI RADEON HD 300.
pretty much the same specs as the M4A78L-M LE but it makes use of DDR3 memory (two DDR3-1800 slots), supports AM3 processors and has a DVI output.overall those who are in need of multimedia pc this is the right choice.

What's the right choice? Sorry, but there doesn't seem to be anythng attached in terms of a model or a make.

As to it being the right choice, the unit I specified is the right choice for my application (which is not multimedia). My concern is purely whether the Atheros wired gigabit ethernet has Linux support.

If I'm reading the above correctly, it has 1 SATA II socket? If so, completely the wrong choice - the M4A78L-M LE has 6, which is what I need.

Smile Far from being a multimedia pc, this is for a home-built NAS, so DDR3 and DVI output are of very little interest to me....

Paul.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atheros L1 and L2 nics work fine under Linux. the L1 is gigabit and used on my Eee PC and my desktop's Asus motherboard, but you'd need to check which one this has.
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
The Atheros L1 and L2 nics work fine under Linux. the L1 is gigabit and used on my Eee PC and my desktop's Asus motherboard, but you'd need to check which one this has.

Thanks Nelz. Unfortunatley, the Asus data on the board doesn't say what chip is used, just that its Atheros gigabit.

Smile It may be academic. I've got an Asrock with similar specs but with a Realtek chip that I know works on its way. I know the Realtek works, but its not the best gigabit NIC around, so I was hoping that the Atheros might be a better option.

Paul.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: