Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RevLin OS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: RevLin OS Reply with quote

Link

Discuss.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like Linux, is based on Linux, works like Linux can, does everything you can do with Linux, why not just use Linux? Rolling Eyes
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
If it looks like Linux, is based on Linux, works like Linux can, does everything you can do with Linux, why not just use Linux? Rolling Eyes

RevLin is not Linux per say, its not just another distribution in any sense of the phrase it is an entirely new os which uses the core elements of linux as its foundation, it will run all applications that are compatible trough Linux and an GUI for the application can be made easily by the developer using our drag and drop interface builder (ala plam's ares) or once the gtk/gt library is installed can use gtk or qt for the interface just like a normal linux app. The whole OS is built from source and is not based on any distribution of Linux. Its something new and allows us not to rely on other, to make improvements to the OS but it being open source bug fixes and changes as well feature requests can be uploaded directly to us. Package management uses a format called .ins which are installation files and you have .app for executing an application. In a .app file you have all of the apps small dependencies and any bigger ones are installed to the library directory in the users home folder meaning you dont need to find a million and one dependencies to install and use an application. Another big change is the layout of the filesystem, instead of hundreds of sub folder in / you have 3 /library /system (which contains drivers , kernel and other frameworks) and /home. a standard on root use can not and will not need to access anything outside there home folder and this allows us to ensure that nothing can get broken and any applications that are, in the unlikely event, infected with malware or are in them self malicious are trapped in a sand box environment rendering them harmless. I hope that this helps you see where we are and where we are going with the OS.
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: RevLin OS Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Link

Discuss.

Are you channelling kamrananvaar now? Razz Laughing

From the brief announcements, it sounds like Mac OS X with a Linux kernel. Apple use a .app folder to keep each applications files together, a central Library directory and each user has a Library directory for system and user preference respectively.

It will be interesting when they actually release something.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeNukes wrote:
RevLin is not Linux per say

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

If it uses a Linux kernel, it is Linux. If it uses a fork of the Linux kernel, it is Linux in all but name until the fork diverges significantly. All of the difference mentioned in the article are in userspace, which makes it another Linux distro. It may use a different filesystem layout and package format, but those have been done before. I'll reserve any further judgement until something is released.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RevLin OS Reply with quote

ollie wrote:

Are you channelling kamrananvaar now? Razz Laughing

No, I'm following the apparently accepted "best practice" on these forums, which is to post a link with no explanation about what's behind it and offer no opinion of my own, letting others do all the work for me. I erred only in one respect, I used a thread title that did give some clue as to what it might be about.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the package management features of RevLin yet though. <prods Mike!>
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it's not Linux, I'm just saying in response to "why not use Linux" that that question is like why use Ubuntu when you can use Fedora? Which to be honest, is a good question Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:

They are using Linux... just customising it as so many do. The customisation might be more extreme than one normally sees, but that the beauty of Open Source software, you can go as far as you like.
RevLinAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello i am the lead developer in charge of RevLin OS and i just wanted to clear up a few things about the OS.
Firstly im very happy to see you discussing the Operating System. The kernel is linux yes, but its linux in the same way that the Mac os x's darwin kernel is OpenBSD. We are taking a snapshot of the linux Kernel, stripped of all the unneeded frameworks, filesystems and excess/deprecated as well as testing (unstable) bits, partially rewriting code that we see as outdated or inefficient and then bug fixing till our fingers bleed then releasing it under the EUlLA license (no im just kidding it will be open source)

also some things we havent announced yet are that the browser (aptly named Tidal) is webkit based and that the media player will use vlc as its backend and will have a banshee/itunes like user interface coded in web language and we will be putting development time into the vlc project in order to give back and improve the platform.

I do understand those who are critical of the Project but we are not making a ubuntu offshoot here, this is something new, a fresh way of doing it or even how things will be with linux in the future, Please check out http://p-quinn.com or get in contact by email for more information

I hope that this has helped in some way.

Regards

Team RevLin
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your explanation. Ref. your remarks on re-coding the kernel: I do hope you've contributed that to the kernel.org dev's, have you? Wink You may have solved (well, showed the way would be more accurate Wink) a few of their issues then Razz

I'm not unwilling to try version 1.0, so give us a heads-up when the time comes, right? I do admit that I'm very much dislike the whole "Web 2.0" stuff, but you may surprise me... Rolling Eyes

Best of luck, it's no easy feat writing a whole new OS concept, and then actually code it Wink
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevLinAdmin wrote:
The kernel is linux yes, but its linux in the same way that the Mac os x's darwin kernel is OpenBSD.

Not to go too off-topic here, but the Mac OS X kernel is Mach, with some elements from FreeBSD.

M
RevLinAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
RevLinAdmin wrote:
The kernel is linux yes, but its linux in the same way that the Mac os x's darwin kernel is OpenBSD.

Not to go too off-topic here, but the Mac OS X kernel is Mach, with some elements from FreeBSD.

M

Yes your right but its the same basic principle, but look at the benefits an OS like this could bring. It could (and hopefully will) kick start a new wave of open source development and a new generation of web centric developers with native skills.
RevLinAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Features? Reply with quote

Hello again all

Just wanted to ask linux users (you guys) what features would you like to see in RevLin's desktop environment RaVe.

P.S Long time fan of the magazine, buy every issue.

Regards

Patrick Q
ollie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some basic apps that are required:
    Web Browser
    ASCII text editor
    Office suite - word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, etc
    Music player - mp3 Wink
    Movie player
    DVD/CD burner
    Email client
    Graphic editor
    Shell access

That should just about cover the majority of tasks performed by computer users.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Features? Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

The parallel between RevLin and Android seems quite close - tweak the kernel core and throw away everything else. This raises echoes in my mind of the current Android fiasco, where Google are dragging their feet on back-porting features/fixes to Linux (In the end Greg K-H had to drop their incompatible code from the tree). So can you reassure us about that aspect?

RevLinAdmin wrote:
Just wanted to ask linux users (you guys) what features would you like to see in RevLin's desktop environment RaVe.

First and foremost I want it intuitive. IMHO Linux's weakest point is that it is developed by geeks who have proved chronically unable to understand or care about the ordinary intelligent but busy user (not expert, not dumb, but no time to RTFM - or even hunt for it. for that matter). For me such long-term issues include:

In my case I like to have a single bar across the top of the screen, with all links and status icons on it. To do things I then work top-down. I hate it when a tool's launch/admin option is in one place but the status indicator is somewhere else and dumb so you can't open it - you have to swing your attention to and fro like a yo-yo. So please at least give me the option of sanity.

I want desktop Help to cover all aspects of the OS, not just the GUI - I hate the way the GNOME help ignores the OS. Aargh! This is my interface with the OS - where else should I look for help?

I want seamless install AND UNINSTALL which includes UNINSTALLING OLD DEPENDNCIES that I don't even know or care about. Sorry about the shouting, but it hurts when things fill up and cleaning out requires a degree in rocket science - I don't have time to study.

I find multiple desktops really useful. But in GNOME if I start an app in one desktop and then flip to another before the app opens a window, the app follows me. (No idea if this can be fixed, but it is the debian default) No! If I'd wanted that I'd have done it that way. "Sticly" windows by default, please.

Desktop customisation - all features and options seamlessly integrated in one easily-accessible tool/framework. Not say the skin in one tool and the menu options in another.

Oh, and one more thing - seamless media insert/remove without any unmounting issues. With any media. Ever. If Windows can do it, I'm sure RevLin can too. Heck, Windows even copes with floppies.

Hoping for a great experience from you, down the line. Cool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: