Windows XP Boot Issues

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows XP Boot Issues

Postby ggsinclair » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:03 am

Hello!

I have tried on several occassions, with different distros, to run win XP alongside Linux.

I have used Suse and MDK and on both of these distros I have found that they have a great deal of difficulty in recognising the Win boot loader (NTLDR?).

I have done a bit of research and have found various fixes for this and none of them seem to work (this is probably due to my lack of experience in all things Linux!!).

Does anyone know of a distro that will recognise the Windows boot loader automatically?

Thanks.

Gordon
ggsinclair
LXF regular

RE: Windows XP Boot Issues

Postby Nigel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:48 pm

I successfully ran Fedora Core 1 & XP alongside each other for quite a while...
I partitioned the disk before installing anything, then installed XP, then Fedora.
The Fedora installer happily found my Windoze installation and added it to the Grub menu, and I had no problems booting into either.

Hope this helps...
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Windows XP Boot Issues

Postby Marrea » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:39 am

Hi ggsinclair

I am currently running a Windows XP/SuSE 9.2 dual boot system using the Windows NTLDR, and previously had a WinXP/SuSE 9.0 dual boot set up the same way. So I can confirm it works with SuSE. In actual fact, I don't really think it is an issue of whether a distro will recognise the Windows boot loader as all you are doing is installing Linux alongside Windows, copying the Linux boot sector over to the root directory of your Windows C drive, and then adding a line to the boot.ini file, so I would imagine any distro will happily dual boot using this method.

If anything, it's the other way round: NTLDR recognising Linux.

You say you have researched this, so I haven't bothered to go into detail here about how to set up the dual boot. However, quite happy to do so if it will help. Just post back and let me know.
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Windows XP Boot Issues

Postby ertret » Sun May 15, 2005 4:31 pm

ertret

RE: Re: RE: Windows XP Boot Issues

Postby skecs » Mon May 16, 2005 8:05 am

I can guarantee that all modern distros recognise the Windows partition and will setup up for dual booting. There are a couple of things to make sure of first. Most systems (Windows and Linux included) can't have their bootloader located after the 1024 cylinder, this is why most people create a small (100 -150 MB is 2 - 3 times enough) as the first Primary partition, then have Windows on the second Primary partition (I have heard of Windows being installed on a Logical partition but have had problems personally), then either 1 more Primary partition or straight to the extended partition and logical partitions inside this.

If you look at the minimum partitions like this you can rebuild your Linux system without losing your home folders:

1. /boot 100 -150 MB
2. C:\ Windows XP
3. / (root)
4. Extended
5. Linux swap
6. /home

If you want to share data look at a /data partition in FAT32 so both Windows & Linux can read & write. You may also want partitions like /srv (for web or ftp server), /opt (for optional programs - Suse puts KDE & Gnome here), /var (for logs etc) and /usr (for user files - most programs install here).

I don't want to start a flame war - there are as many partitioning schemes as there are Linux users but I have found this structure to be useful over the past 6 years of various versions of Linux.

For information on the "politically correct" partitioning scheme look at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ and http://www.linuxbase.org/.

I know Suse 9.3 comes with a partition resizing capability as does Mandrake ... sorry ... Mandriva and I think Ubuntu. There are probably more - it is a pretty standard task on Windows boxes to have to resize systems partitions.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon May 16, 2005 4:51 pm

i installed mandriva with no probs it just uses the mandriva bootloader which i set to boot xp by default so there is no "dad the computers doing that strange thing again :roll: )

paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

boot fix for 9.1

Postby anon » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:13 am

portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html
anon

Re: boot fix for 9.1

Postby skecs » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:22 am

anon wrote:portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

:?

Basically says that all 2.6 kernels have troubles if the first partition ends on or after the 1024 cylinder - this is why I said use a /boot partition first. This affects more than 2.6 kernel Linux (try nearly all OS can have this problem including Windows if the kernel is located above 1023 cylinder) and is why FHS recommend the 100 - 150 MB /boot partition as hda1.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby Marrea » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm

My Windows XP/SuSE 9.2 dual boot, using the Windows NTLDR, is set up as follows:

/dev/hda1, 10GB, Windows FAT32, cylinders 1-1307
/dev/hda2, 377MB, swap, cylinders 1308-1355
/dev/hda3, 8.2GB, root, cylinders 1356-2432

so Grub (which is on /dev/hda3) is obviously located above the 1024 cylinder, but I have no problems booting into either Windows or SuSE
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby skecs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:09 am

I too have done this without any problems arising - however I have also come across issues with both Windows & Linux when configured like this. I just wanted to make this as easy as possible and avoid any hassles with this known issue, for an inexperienced user that has come across this problem.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby Marrea » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 am

skecs

Yes, agreed - very sensible.

This whole booting business can be full of pitfalls - and often what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I have to confess I don't find this 1024 cyclinder limit issue easy to understand, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that modern BIOSes tend not to be affected by it.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:02 am

Kubuntu, redhat9, mandriva all know what to do with XP and Win200 dual boot.

MIke :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby palepaul5 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:59 pm

I have to confess I don't find this 1024 cyclinder limit issue easy to understand, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that modern BIOSes tend not to be affected by it.

More or less any P.C. newer than 3-4 yrs old shouldn't have any problems addressing the 1024 cylinder limit, Usually if you are going to be multi-booting you would have, say Grub in the MBR. and then you can just install bootloaders into the root of the partition you install the other Distro's(Linux) in, pointing Grub in your MBR to 'chainload' them. Although Windows does generally tend to like the 1st partition. The BSD's, QNX and Solaris all need a primary partition, although most(not all) Linux Distro's will make do with Primary or Logical partitions.
H.T.H.
(Y) PJF (Y)
palepaul5

Postby Marrea » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:51 pm

I have a couple of dual boot systems: one is Windows 98 with Fedora Core 2, and the other is Windows XP with SuSE 9.2. I'm a bit nervous about possible problems with the MBR so I put Grub on the first sector of the root partition, and then use Boot Magic (in the case of Win98/FC2) and Windows NTLDR (in the case of WinXP/SuSE 9.2) as the initial boot loaders.

I always reckon this way it will be easier to remove Linux and revert back to Windows should I so desire - but I don't really know because so far I have no intention at all of removing Linux !! :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:36 pm

is not a problem to remove linux ... just loginto windows and at the command (cmd - for nt/xp) (command - for 98) and the type 'mbr' i believe this should rebuild the windows master boot record. never tried it so not sure. if it works it will eliminate any bootloader and manage the windows installations present.

mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!