Borking the computers in Dixons

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Borking the computers in Dixons

Postby heiowge » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 pm

I ***have a friend who*** liked to bork the PCs in Dixons once upon a time. **He** thought it was fun to change the screensaver of the unlocked PCs to scrolling marquee of "this PC is crap" and then set a completely random keypress password.

Anyone else ***have a friend*** like that? :lol:
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 am

I too ***had a friend*** who used to copy the 'Windows 95 is shutting down' .bmp image over the 'It is now safe to turn off your computer' .bmp image on school computers. The end result being that the machines never appeared to shut down properly (although that was the norm for Windows 95).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am

I have a friend who likes to set a Bios password at PCWorld. :lol:
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 am

Back when Windows 95/98 was the rage with application launchers on the desktop ***some people*** liked to take screen shots, delete all of the shortcuts and then set the desktop background to the screenshot. Lots of calls about "icons" or the mouse not working :twisted:
ollie

Postby guy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Ah! Those halcyon days on WinNT when ***Some people*** would use IE to browse the IIS server's file systems and discover the sysadmin's crib sheet for all those key presses he used to hide from sight by holding up a forearm and typing one-handed. Of course, nobody ever corrupted the copy they left behind. :)

That was long after ***somebody*** borked the office sysadmin's evil empire by getting a DOS PC, plugging in an HP-IB card and installing Forth so they couldn't claim it was an office machine and we could run what we liked on it. :D

Nowadays, ***Some people*** have a debian box in similar vein, which is used for "mathematics research" which, inexplicably, also involves creating all the svg icons on the intranet wiki. It is unfortunate that the standard Windows client has no svg editing tools, but there you go, svg is the preferred format and we are all Standards goody-goodies these days, aren't we? 8)

Do you see a common approach to sysadmins in all this? Nothing personal folks, cos you haven't dumped s*** on me.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am

guy wrote:Ah! Those halcyon days on WinNT when ***Some people*** would use IE to browse the IIS server's file systems and discover the sysadmin's crib sheet for all those key presses he used to hide from sight by holding up a forearm and typing one-handed. Of course, nobody ever corrupted the copy they left behind. :)

I can remember ***someone*** showing ***someone's boss*** that they could browse the entire Active Directory of 25,000+ systems and create files on any server in the Active Directory using a Linux LiveCD :shock: :shock: :roll:
ollie

Postby LeeNukes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 pm

I have a ***friend*** who when they see machines out on display has been know to copy down the license key for Windows so that should ***they*** ever need one for testing purposes they have one handy.

I know for a fact they haven't used that code yet, but its there incase.

I also know that from my research on ebay, several people are listing their servers and putting their Windows 2003 sticks in plain site, one even took a close up picture of theirs. :roll:
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Return to Other OS