Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 10.04 no support on GMA500, Mandriva does!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m0dcm

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu 10.04 no support on GMA500, Mandriva does!!! Reply with quote

I have a Acer Aspire One ZA3 (AO751h) and as soon as Ubuntu 10.04 was released I created a USB stick and installed it. Well the truth is that it doesn't work on GMA500/Poulsbo based Netbooks. So as quick as it was installed it was taken off and I tried Mandriva. I was amazed that from boot up off the USB stick that Mandriva detected and used the GMA500 from the word go, but after a couple of hours of using it, I began to miss Ubuntu, so I put 9.10 back onto my machine.

So, what have Mandriva done different to Canonical? Another thing I did was to ask Intel if they were bringing a new driver out for the GMA500 chipset, and I had a sarcastic remark and a comment which went "Your Distro (Canonical) are to blame for this problem, get in touch with them!", so I went onto the #ubuntu IRC and asked when we were going to have GMA500 support in 10.04.
I had the reply, "Intel are to blame for the driver!", in which I replied "How come Intel are blaming you guys, and how come Mandriva works out of the box with this chipset running the latest Xorg?" They were shocked about both!!

So I along with other Ubuntu users who own Poulsbo based Netbooks are stuck with 9.10 till April 2011, and then if there's no support for our devices, we're either forced to install Windows (NOT A CHANCE!!) or throw our machines in the bin!

So if there's anyone from Canonical reading these forums, please sort this problem out!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they don't want to include the Poulsbo driver because it's about as reliable as a politician's promises and they don't want all the "Ubuntu crashes my netbook" posts. Intel releases open source drivers for most of their vhardware, but not these chips.

Anyway, I'm sure a driver will soon be available as a PPA.
jknights

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am pretty sure that within the next few weeks someone will have found a way to cure thsi problem.

I think that its probably an issue of Canonical refusing to use a 'non open source code' set of drivers. if that is the case then some one will definitely provide us with a install from the Mandriva libraries.
I'm not technical enough to know if there is a need for any kernel recompiling to be necessary but if its as simple as loading the Mandriva drivers then its not a big deal as its probably just a question of installing the Mandriva on the 751h and then copying out the Xorg config and reusing that under Ubuntu.
I may be completely wrong (probably!!) but the next month or so will tell.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no the reason, because they have Nvidia drivers, which are also closed source. The main difference between the Nvidia and Poulsbo drivers is that the Nvidia drivers work.
hecatae

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/01/30/intel-gma-500-poulsbo-graphics-on-linux-a-precise-and-comprehensive-summary-as-to-why-youre-screwed/

the above is from Adam Williamson, who is Fedora QA.

Quote:
the GMA 500 is not really a follow up to all the previous Intel chips. Itís a bit of Intelís platform with a PowerVR (those of you whoíve been breaking crap as long as I have may remember PowerVR as an early contender to 3DFX and NVIDIA; theyíve since scurried off into niche markets) chip slapped on top of it. So itís basically a whole new architecture that needs a whole new driver.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: