OK, so what happened?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Bazza » Wed May 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Mike...

> It was exciting, wasn't it?

Oh yes; about as exciting as watching chocolate solidify. :)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm

M-Saunders wrote:I thought I'd turn the server off just to keep you folks on your toes. It was exciting, wasn't it?

Then you have only yourself to blame for me having the time to install Ubuntu on my main box. I'd blame you for the grub error on first boot, if I hadn't had a good idea what caused it and been able to fix it. :P

Now to get all the other stuff installed. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ollie » Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 pm

heiowge wrote:I hadn't noticed any outage - virgin media reassigned my MAC address to another customer, although it took them 30 hours to admit this and fix it. :roll:

They may have assigned your IP Address to another customer, but your MAC address is hard coded into the router (network device).

I know they can be spoofed, but that is done at your end in software.
ollie

Postby LeeNukes » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm

ollie wrote:
heiowge wrote:I hadn't noticed any outage - virgin media reassigned my MAC address to another customer, although it took them 30 hours to admit this and fix it. :roll:

They may have assigned your IP Address to another customer, but your MAC address is hard coded into the router (network device).

I know they can be spoofed, but that is done at your end in software.

Wrong type of MAC address I would assume. I assume he meant the Migration Authorisation Code.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 am

LeeNukes wrote:Wrong type of MAC address I would assume. I assume he meant the Migration Authorisation Code.

Oops, how hard do you want to make Internet access? Can't they come up with their own acronyms?

Much simpler to "churn" in Australia - What is ADSL Transfer (Churn)?* One phone call and it's done :D

* I've used my ISP just for simplicity.
ollie

Postby Marrea » Fri May 07, 2010 2:52 pm

According to the Virgin Support Forum, it seems as if a server holding the inventory of ex-NTL MAC addresses went down recently and needed to be reinstated. This has resulted in those affected - running into several hundreds apparently - getting the VM Activation screen when they try to access the internet.

VM say on the Forum:
We've been running a programme to remove unregistered modems from our network since February this year. The vast majority of affected modems were end of life or no longer in service due to disconnected accounts. A small percentage of the unregistered modems were in use by customers, however due to incomplete records inherited from previous guises of the company, it was impossible for us to identify these customers. We've been working to reactivate valid customer modems and this had been running smoothly until about a week ago, when a technical issue caused some delays. This technical issue has now been fixed and we're working through the small backlog of modem re-activations as fast as we can to reconnect the customers affected by this problem.

See also http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/06/virgin_media/
Marrea
LXF regular

Previous

Return to This Website