Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netbooks with Linux?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the newer, more up to date netbooks are larger screens, large hard disks, and Windows only, but most of them have the same Atom processor and Intel chipset as the original ones.
The AA1 is an excellent netbook, and apparently the Acer refurbs are mainly user returns because they didn't have windows on them Smile.
I bought an AA1 with 8gb SSD, 9 cell battery and 1.5 Gb RAM on Amazon for 90, with a 3 month guarantee from an Amazon seller and it looks and performs like a brand new item.
That compares well with the going rate on Fleabay of about 150 with no guarantee.

IBBoard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger screen is part of what I'd like, though. 10.1" seems reasonable from the range I saw in PC World, where as I've not seen the 8.9" in the flesh and it seems like it might be a bit small.

Thanks for the comments. I did suspect that the trend was towards Laptop-isation (Windows and a HDD).
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was currently in the market for a Netbook, I'd be buying one of these, or a close relative. The Nvidia ION chipset is a step up from the Intel ones and, at least as far as my Revo (which has ION) is concerned, works just fine with Linux and the Nvidia driver.
IBBoard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, but I was looking in the 200-250 range. It looks like the guide price for that is more like a proper laptop at ~350.

I am quite interested in how all of these processors stack up, if anyone has any numbers. If everyone has their netbooks running pretty much the same these days then it won't make too much difference, but I've seen a few different model numbers floating around.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as this?
IBBoard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a better price than the original article Smile Shame it's still an XP machine and a HDD, though.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being picky. I know the Netbook/SSD/Linux combo existed, I just want to find it again as a package that my wife will trust Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBBoard wrote:
Looks interesting, but I was looking in the 200-250 range. It looks like the guide price for that is more like a proper laptop at ~350.

The size is more like a "proper laptop" too. It seems the original concept of the netbook has been forgotten and they are turning into slightly smaller laptops Sad
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame really, I find the AA1 almost perfect in terms of size and weight.
The new contenders are far too large and too heavy.
Netbook sales are slowing, apparently, could that be because they are becoming small notebooks instead of Netbooks?
Or is it because of the iPhad?

Edit: apparently, Dell are only supplying Linux pre-installed on business channel products. Interesting.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: