Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu won't run from coverdisc on eeePC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkpk3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Ubuntu won't run from coverdisc on eeePC Reply with quote

I'm trying to run Ubuntu 10.04 from the coverdisc on an Asus eeePC, with a 1.6Ghz Atom processor, a Mobile Intel 945 display chipset, and an external DVD drive.

I get to the boot menu, and am able to run Kubuntu and Xubuntu from the disc OK. But when I try Ubuntu, I never get off the boot menu. The external DVD drive reads the disc for about 20-30 seconds, then stops, and nothing else happens. The netbook doesn't hang, but it won't take me to the Ubuntu desktop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Could it have something to do with the video driver problems others have had? Is there a workaround that a newbie like me could implement?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very standard hardware, I've run Ubuntu 10.04 on an Eee PC. It's more likely to be a problem with the disk, try it in another computer and see if the same problem occurs.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 10.04 running on my eeepc 904ha. I installed that from a downloaded version off the Ubuntu website. 10.04 does work on my eeepc, so I'd agree - it's probably your disc.
yamin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: I have the same problem with Ubuntu disc Reply with quote

I installed on one PC. But then tried on another PC does not work. It was after the initial menu "Error Reading Disc" with an error code. I tried several machines and even downloaded it and burnt on several CDs.

I just cant get it to install.

Yamin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: