hoodwinked out of CDs..and ideas for magazine

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

hoodwinked out of CDs..and ideas for magazine

Postby urbandryad » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:04 pm

I bought my first issue of Linux Format today. Its the October 2005 issue, that was meant to have a DVD AND two CD-ROMs on it. But the store I sold it to didn't have teh CD's. The cashier checked for me, only the DVD was there. I was quite distraught, cause the magazine said there were TWO cd-roms, and my laptop has no DVD drive, so I can't use the DVD that DID come with it.

Can I possibly request the CD's from somebody? How much would that cose? I already paid $21 (canadian) for a magazine without the CD's. :(

Nice magazine by the way. Linux Journal was way to boring to look at, but Format seems to be a very visually interesting magagain, maybe a Linux newbie section could be added it to it to, that would be nifty. :3
urbandryad

RE: hoodwinked out of CDs..and ideas for magazine

Postby drws » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Are you talking about the fact that the magazine refers to CD and DVD discs inside?
Its just that you can get the magazine with EITHER a DVD on the cover or CDS on the cover. (not usually both - the CD version is slightly cheaper here)
This is how it is in the UK. I'm not sure about Canada.
drws
LXF regular

Postby urbandryad » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:41 pm

OOOH! Well dang. At least I already have Ubuntu on my laptop. I was hoping for some of the CD programs though. I should look up where to download them from.

The magazine looks neat, I'm going to like it I think. (Tux Magazine, for newbies, didn't appeal to me very much. One: Online, so I can't access it at home without expending my precious hardrive space on huge PDFs. Two: I'm a Gnome user, and it is a very KDE centric magazine. Linux Format seems somewhat multi-OS supportive at least. ^^
~{@ Urban Dryad @}~
urbandryad

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:16 pm

All the programs on the CDs are on the DVD (usually). In fact there are more programs on the DVD than on the two CDs.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby urbandryad » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:46 pm

yeah, but I don't have a DVD rom. I need to find a way to get the DVD files onto a CD-ROM. Maybe I can find a friend who will do it.
~{@ Urban Dryad @}~
urbandryad

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:04 am

Yes, if you can find someone with a DVD ROM drive, you can copy some of the files. You can even make CD-ROMs of the CentOS distro with the jigdo system -- see the coverdisc pages for more info!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:54 am

Yep, two versions of the mag -=- only diff is one has the dvd, the other the cdrom(s).

Thats gotten a bit screwy over in Aus the last few months, with only the cdrom issue around. I solved that by looking around for a newsagent who actually gave a stuff, and they agreed to order a dvd copy in each month for me. So, hopefully that wont be a problem again. That idea might work for you.

Or, you could contact the mag for info on the distribution agent in your country and contact them .. as shown in this thread ...
Magazine::LXF69-August-No-DVD-Version-In-Sydney-Au date: Sep 26, 2005 : jjmac

http://www.linuxformat.com/index.php?na ... pic&t=1094

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:06 am

If you have difficulty getting the stuff you want from the DVD, we can mail you the CDs, just email mike with your address <mike.saunders@futurenet.co.uk>
evilnick

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs