Russia Uses Microsoft to Suppress Dissent

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Russia Uses Microsoft to Suppress Dissent

Postby kamrananvaar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 am

IRKUTSK, Russia — It was late one afternoon in January when a squad of plainclothes police officers arrived at the headquarters of a prominent environmental group here. They brushed past the staff with barely a word and instead set upon the computers before carting them away. Taken were files that chronicled a generation’s worth of efforts to protect the Siberian wilderness.
Above the Law

Articles in this series examine corruption and abuse of power in Russia two decades after the end of Communism.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/world ... .html?_r=1
kamrananvaar
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

It shows that Linux and encryption should be used instead of shoddy, proprietary software made by a US company. This software must, by US law, provide backdoors through any encryption or security measures implemented.
ollie

Postby leke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am

That reminds me. Is my current user profile encrypted in linux or do i need to activate something to encrypt my drive?
leke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 am

leke wrote:That reminds me. Is my current user profile encrypted in linux or do i need to activate something to encrypt my drive?

That depends on the distro you use, the options you selected when installing and other variables. A quick test is to boot from a live CD, if you can read the contents of your home directory, so can anyone else.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby leke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Tried the live CD. Turns out my user account isn't encrypted. hmmm...am I paranoid enough?
leke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:35 pm

It's not encrypted so you're nowhere near paranoid enough.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Discussion